number of guests require more memory for a short period and then they
yield it again once they've done their work. After upgrading to the
latest HWE kernel based on Linux 5.3 this driver has been removed so the
guests only start with the 'memory' value and do not increase to
'maxmem' when required. Is there a replacement driver which does this
work?

Thanks,
James

Re: self-balloon driver AWOL [ In reply to ]
On 21.01.20 15:06, James Dingwall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been successfully using the self-balloon driver on my Ubuntu
> bionic systems in order to over-provision memory for lots of PV linux
> guests. The workload works well for this strategy as typically a small
> number of guests require more memory for a short period and then they
> yield it again once they've done their work. After upgrading to the
> latest HWE kernel based on Linux 5.3 this driver has been removed so the
> guests only start with the 'memory' value and do not increase to
> 'maxmem' when required. Is there a replacement driver which does this
> work?

The problem with the self-balloon driver was that it depended on tmem,
which has been removed from Xen due to major security flaws.

In case you have been able to use the self-balloon driver without tmem
by configuring it in a special way (how?), I'd be happy to re-add it
without the tmem parts.

Juergen