I had a minor mishap where some of my xl configs got deleted. Thinking
over how to recover from this I came up with a conversion script.

json-to-xl.pl : https://paste.debian.net/plain/1118597

The cached json configs in /var/lib/xen are parsed and converted.

Maybe there is an easier way. Always make backups!

cheers,
PryMar56
##xen-packaging on Freenode IRC

Re: restore xl configs from cached json configs - script [ In reply to ]
On 11/29/2019 6:17 PM, Pry Mar wrote:
> hello list,
>
> I had a minor mishap where some of my xl configs got deleted. Thinking
> over how to recover from this I came up with a conversion script.
>
> json-to-xl.pl : https://paste.debian.net/plain/1118597
>
> The cached json configs in /var/lib/xen are parsed and converted.
>
> Maybe there is an easier way. Always make backups!
>
> cheers,
> PryMar56
> ##xen-packaging on Freenode IRC

I followed up the PryMar56 (an excellent year) and thought I might
add the following for some of us who didn't see the text to JSON
connection or fully grasp what is at stake here:

If you lose your configuration scripts *and* (presumably) your xen is
still running, you can retrieve the values of your configuration
from cached values that xen stores during operation of the
virtual instances.  When you launch a virtual instance, Xen
reads the configuration file you have specified, e.g.
/etc/xen/myVM.cfg. Xen then stores under
/var/lib/xen,
e.g.
/var/lib/xen/userdata-d.3.d2faf08e-866c-4092-9795-7137b8bfda81.libxl-json
in JSON format a cached version of the values specified in
your configuration script.

So PryMar56's script can reads the cached
JSON files and recreates the text configuration files that
have been lost.

Nice. Thank you, Pry Mar.

John