Mailing List Archive

Unable to connect USB devices to an HVM vm
I'm trying to pass through USB devices from the host to an HVM VM, no
PVUSB or anything. Unfortunately, I can only add a controller, not any
devices.

my HVM configuration: https://pastebin.com/LGSYNYtw

I can hook up a controller, but as soon as I try to add a device:

root@nosgoth:/etc/xen/conf# xl usbdev-attach vcr hostbus=002
hostaddr=004
libxl: error: libxl_qmp.c:341:qmp_handle_error_response: Domain
26:received an error message from QMP server: 'usb-host' is not a valid
device model name
libxl: error: libxl_device.c:1435:device_addrm_aocomplete: unable to add
device
libxl_device_usbdev_add failed.

From what I understand the error message is a QEMU error. I'm running
xen 4.12.0 built from upstream on ubuntu 18.04.

I'm hoping this is a simple configuration option or something, but I'm
uncertain where to start, and googling the error just finds me QEMU
problems :(

Thanks in advance!

Re: Unable to connect USB devices to an HVM vm [ In reply to ]
To follow up. I was missing libusb support in QEMU. I have updated to
4.12.1 at the same time, and now my USB support mostly works.
Passthrough doesn't fail, at least.