Bill

--
Bill MacAllister <bill@ca-zephyr.org>

Re: Ubuntu Xen Kernel linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic no network devices [ In reply to ]
On 9/27/19 11:00 AM, Bill MacAllister wrote:
> I applied package dates, i.e. apt full-upgrade, to a Ubuntu 18.04 system and
> when it rebooted there were no network devices.  The new kernel version is
> linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic.  When I rebooted the system with the older
> linux-image-4.15.0-54-generic kernel the network devices reappeared.  I would
> appreciate some suggestions on how to decipher this problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

I'm assuming you mean a domU, not a dom0. We've booted that exact kernel both in PV and HVM mode with no issues.

Did you have any messages related to eth0 or xen_netfront from dmesg? Is it reproducible?

--Sarah

Re: Ubuntu Xen Kernel linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic no network devices [ In reply to ]
On 2019-09-27 13:38, Sarah Newman wrote:
> On 9/27/19 11:00 AM, Bill MacAllister wrote:
>> I applied package dates, i.e. apt full-upgrade, to a Ubuntu 18.04
>> system and
>> when it rebooted there were no network devices.  The new kernel
>> version is
>> linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic.  When I rebooted the system with the
>> older
>> linux-image-4.15.0-54-generic kernel the network devices reappeared.
>> I would
>> appreciate some suggestions on how to decipher this problem.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill
>>

> I'm assuming you mean a domU, not a dom0. We've booted that exact
> kernel both in PV and HVM mode with no issues.

No, I do mean dom0. None of the domU's were willing to come up with the
network in place.

> Did you have any messages related to eth0 or xen_netfront from dmesg?
> Is it reproducible?

Yes, it is reproducible. I will need to reboot the system to get exact
messages from dmesg. I do that later tonight.

Thanks for the response.

Bill

--
Bill MacAllister <bill@ca-zephyr.org>

Re: Ubuntu Xen Kernel linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic no network devices [ In reply to ]
On 9/27/19 4:35 PM, Bill MacAllister wrote:
> On 2019-09-27 13:38, Sarah Newman wrote:
>> On 9/27/19 11:00 AM, Bill MacAllister wrote:
>>> I applied package dates, i.e. apt full-upgrade, to a Ubuntu 18.04 system and
>>> when it rebooted there were no network devices.  The new kernel version is
>>> linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic.  When I rebooted the system with the older
>>> linux-image-4.15.0-54-generic kernel the network devices reappeared. I would
>>> appreciate some suggestions on how to decipher this problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

>> I'm assuming you mean a domU, not a dom0. We've booted that exact
>> kernel both in PV and HVM mode with no issues.
>
> No, I do mean dom0.  None of the domU's were willing to come up with the
> network in place.
>
>> Did you have any messages related to eth0 or xen_netfront from dmesg?
>> Is it reproducible?
>
> Yes, it is reproducible.  I will need to reboot the system to get exact
> messages from dmesg.  I do that later tonight.

If it's the dom0, I think it's less likely to be a xen specific issue. The first thing I would check is whether one of the partitions ran out of space
or if one of the extra kernel module packages didn't get installed. You can compare the contents of /lib/modules for each version against each other.

--Sarah

Re: Ubuntu Xen Kernel linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic no network devices [ In reply to ]
On 2019-09-27 16:39, Sarah Newman wrote:
> On 9/27/19 4:35 PM, Bill MacAllister wrote:

>>> I'm assuming you mean a domU, not a dom0. We've booted that exact
>>> kernel both in PV and HVM mode with no issues.
>>
>> No, I do mean dom0.  None of the domU's were willing to come up with
>> the
>> network in place.
>>
>>> Did you have any messages related to eth0 or xen_netfront from dmesg?
>>> Is it reproducible?
>>
>> Yes, it is reproducible.  I will need to reboot the system to get
>> exact
>> messages from dmesg.  I do that later tonight.
>
> If it's the dom0, I think it's less likely to be a xen specific issue.
> The first thing I would check is whether one of the partitions ran out
> of space or if one of the extra kernel module packages didn't get
> installed. You can compare the contents of /lib/modules for each
> version against each other.
>
> --Sarah

Thanks a ton Sarah. That was the exactly the right thing to look at.
For
some reason the "apt full-upgrade" did not install the new version of
the
linux-modules-extra package, specifically
linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-64-generic.
Installing that loaded up the complete set of bnx2 modules and support
for
the Broadcom NIC.

Bill

--
Bill MacAllister <bill@ca-zephyr.org>

Re: Ubuntu Xen Kernel linux-image-4.15.0-64-generic no network devices [ In reply to ]
Hi Bill,

after uprading vom 16.04 to 18.04 we had some troubles because of the new Ubuntu-network stack. I wrote a little blog article, maybe you can find a hint for your problem:

https://blog.werk21.de/de/2018/07/06/subnetz-zusatz-ips-oder-failover-ips-netplan-systemd-hetzner-konfigurieren-ubuntu-1804

Best regards and good luck,
Kelly.