But, while attempting to boot, booting gets stuck at "Detecting Android x86
......."
PFA my config file.
Can someone please point me in the right direction, for getting this to
work ?

Using the above method I am able to boot into Ubuntu, though.

Thanks,
Rajagopal
Re: Android-PVH direct kernel booting [ In reply to ]
Hello Rajagopal,

Some quick thoughts.

1. Have you compelled android on x86 machine and tried to run it on a x86 platform too? In that case, you need android on x86 support.

2. If you are cross compelling android, then you need to check your toolchain. Also I am not sure if you can run arm guest domain on a x86 platform.

Regards,
Kun

??????: Rajagopal Aravindan
???????: 8??29???????? ????1:46
????: Fwd: Android-PVH direct kernel booting
?????: chengkunck@gmail.com, denisobrezkov@gmail.com
????: xen-users@lists.xenproject.org

Hello Denis & Kun,

Any thoughts on the below mail, please ?
Once I get Android to direct kernel boot as Dom-U on x86, I shall try the same on OdroidXU4.

Thanks in advance,
Rajagopal

Re: Android-PVH direct kernel booting [ In reply to ]
Hello Kun,

Thanks for your reply.

>>Have you compelled android on x86 machine and tried to run it on a x86
platform too? In that case, you need android on x86 support.
Yes, I downloaded Android-x86 code and prepared iso_img.
I am able to natively install the iso_img and my x86_64 boots fine into
Android-x86.

Then, I tried installing from the iso_img in my Xen HVM guest, using a raw
disk image file (loopback mounting).
This also works fine and I am able to boot my Xen HVM guest into
Android-x86.

Now, I am trying to convert my HVM into a PVH guest and do direct kernel
boot (dkb) by loopback mounting the raw disk image file.
Which is when I am running into ""Detecting Android x86 ...".
PFA the dkb config file.

Any inputs would be very helpful.

>>If you are cross compelling android, then you need to check your
toolchain. Also I am not sure if you can run arm guest domain on a x86
platform.
Once I meet with success on x86, would be trying this next.

Thanks,
Rajagopal

Re: Android-PVH direct kernel booting [ In reply to ]
Sorry for the late reply. I was travelling in the last a couple of days.

Rajagopal Aravindan <a.rajagopal.81@gmail.com> ?2019?8?29??? ??12:35???

> Hello Kun,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> >>Have you compelled android on x86 machine and tried to run it on a x86
> platform too? In that case, you need android on x86 support.
> Yes, I downloaded Android-x86 code and prepared iso_img.
> I am able to natively install the iso_img and my x86_64 boots fine into
> Android-x86.
>
> Then, I tried installing from the iso_img in my Xen HVM guest, using a raw
> disk image file (loopback mounting).
> This also works fine and I am able to boot my Xen HVM guest into
> Android-x86.
>
> Now, I am trying to convert my HVM into a PVH guest and do direct kernel
> boot (dkb) by loopback mounting the raw disk image file.
> Which is when I am running into ""Detecting Android x86 ...".
> PFA the dkb config file.
>
> Any inputs would be very helpful.

I have limited experience with direct kernel boot. I usually use that (and
netboot) to create a complete new vm, which seems to be quite different
from the way you use it.

For pv support in HVMs, I do think mainstream linux kernels should be okay,
as pv drivers are already merged since 2.6.
But I have little knowledge about aosp-x86. Can you confirm the pv drivers
are there and compiled in the kernel built for the image which you have
been using?

Re: Android-PVH direct kernel booting [ In reply to ]
I have also found a lot posts in google complaining the same mistake.
A recent one complaining the grub2 didnt find anroid-x86, see:
https://grokbase.com/t/gg/android-x86/126wpgwwab/boot-grub2-problems
Also I have seen people complaining some certain releases got suck in
booting.

Hope those can be useful.

Kun Cheng <chengkunck@gmail.com> ?2019?9?2??? ??11:44???

Re: Android-PVH direct kernel booting [ In reply to ]
Kun,

Thanks for reply.
I am also going through those links only.

Regards,
Rajagopal