Hello Julien,

I am trying to understand how a Dom-U's GUI desktop is viewable through
vncviewer.
While I see a fbfront driver in Ubuntu running as Dom-U, I don't see a
fbback driver or equivalent.

Can you please provide me some info or links on this ?

Thanks,
Rajagopal
Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I am adding Oleksandr who has been looking after PV display driver recently.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On 9/5/19 9:47 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am adding Oleksandr who has been looking after PV display driver
> recently.

We do not use framebuffer drivers in our setups, but PV display (Linux KMS).
Please let me know if you need details on that.

> Cheers,
>
> On 8/28/19 6:49 PM, Rajagopal Aravindan wrote:
>> Hello Julien,
>>
>> I am trying to understand how a Dom-U's GUI desktop is viewable
>> through vncviewer.
>> While I see a fbfront driver in Ubuntu running as Dom-U, I don't see
>> a fbback driver or equivalent.

fbfront is a kernel driver and its counterpart (fbback) is a part of
QEMU [1]

OFFTOP: I am not subscribed on xen-users@, so I miss all the mails there

>> Thanks,
>> Rajagopal

[1]
https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-xen.git;a=blob;f=hw/display/xenfb.c;h=3c79913b31a67d162299f598002133881e064c87;hb=HEAD
Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
Hello Oleksandr,

>We do not use framebuffer drivers in our setups, but PV display (Linux
KMS).
>Please let me know if you need details on that.

Will try to do some study with the info provided so far and touch base with
you again, after that.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajagopal

Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
Hello Oleksandr,

>>We do not use framebuffer drivers in our setups, but PV display (Linux
KMS).
>>Please let me know if you need details on that.
Yes, could you please share some details, to consolidate whatever little
study we have carried out so far ?

Look forward to your reply.

Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
Hi, sorry for late reply

On 10/17/19 11:27 AM, Rajagopal Aravindan wrote:
> Hello Oleksandr,
>
> >>We do not use framebuffer drivers in our setups, but PV display
> (Linux KMS).
> >>Please let me know if you need details on that.
> Yes, could you please share some details, to consolidate whatever
> little study we have carried out so far ?

In order to run Xen PV display you need:
1. PV display front kernel driver [1]
2. PV display backend - user-space backend which runs either as
a Weston client or can run as DRM KMS client.
3. Configure your domain, for examples please see [3] and of course [4]

This should be all you need
> Look forward to your reply.
>
> Thanks,
> Rajagopal
Thank you,
Oleksandr

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 10:58 AM Oleksandr Andrushchenko
> <Oleksandr_Andrushchenko@epam.com
> <mailto:Oleksandr_Andrushchenko@epam.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> On 9/5/19 9:47 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am adding Oleksandr who has been looking after PV display driver
> > recently.
> >
> We do not use framebuffer drivers in our setups, but PV display
> (Linux KMS).
> Please let me know if you need details on that.
>
> > Cheers,
> >
> > On 8/28/19 6:49 PM, Rajagopal Aravindan wrote:
> >> Hello Julien,
> >>
> >> I am trying to understand how a Dom-U's GUI desktop is viewable
> >> through vncviewer.
> >> While I see a fbfront driver in Ubuntu running as Dom-U, I
> don't see
> >> a fbback driver or equivalent.
> >>
> fbfront is a kernel driver and its counterpart (fbback) is a part of
> QEMU [1]
>
> >> Can you please provide me some info or links on this ?
> OFFTOP: I am not subscribed on xen-users@, so I miss all the mails
> there
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Rajagopal
> >
> [1]
> https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=qemu-xen.git;a=blob;f=hw/display/xenfb.c;h=3c79913b31a67d162299f598002133881e064c87;hb=HEAD

[1] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.4-rc2/source/drivers/gpu/drm/xen
[2] https://github.com/xen-troops/displ_be
[3]
https://github.com/xen-troops/meta-xt-prod-gen3-test/tree/master/recipes-dom0/dom0-image-thin-initramfs/files/meta-xt-prod-extra/recipes-extended/guest-addons/files
[4] https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/unstable/man/xl.cfg.5.html

Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
Hello Oleksandr,

>>This should be all you need

Is it possible to render a Xen guest's GUI directly on a display, without
PCI pass-through ?
When I say directly, I mean in full-screen, just like how native OS's GUI
is rendered.

Any pointers will be helpful.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Rajagopal

Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
On 11/13/19 7:07 PM, Rajagopal Aravindan wrote:
> Hello Oleksandr,

Hi,
> >>This should be all you need
>
> Is it possible to render a Xen guest's GUI directly on a display,
> without PCI pass-through ?
PCI pass-through is not needed for PV display to work
> When I say directly, I mean in full-screen, just like how native OS's
> GUI is rendered.
We run Weston full-screen, cannot understand what exactly the problem?

Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
Hello Oleksandr,

>>We run Weston full-screen, cannot understand what exactly the problem?
Is it possible for the guest to render natively on a display ?
If yes, is it possible for a display to be switched between the guests,
dynamically ?

Thanks,
Rajagopal

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 12:25 PM Oleksandr Andrushchenko <

Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
On 11/14/19 20:14, Rajagopal Aravindan wrote:
> Hello Oleksandr,
>
> >>We run Weston full-screen, cannot understand what exactly the problem?
> Is it possible for the guest to render natively on a display ?

If you mean without passing through a display? I guess no,

we are talking about para-virtual display

> If yes, is it possible for a display to be switched between the
> guests, dynamically ?

In our setup we have Weston + display backend, so all guests are Weston
clients

internally (display backend creates a new Weston client for each guest).

Thus, every client is just a Weston window, so you can switch as you wish

BTW, just out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve?

> Thanks,
> Rajagopal

Thank you,

Oleksandr

Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
Hello Oleksandr,

>>BTW, just out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve?
We would like to share a single display among multiple guests, with ONLY 1 guest's GUI visible at any time.
Dynamically, the user should be able to switch to any guest's GUI, through some gesture or special key stroke.

Please let me know in case I am NOT clear.

Thanks,
Rajagopal

________________________________
On 11/14/19 20:14, Rajagopal Aravindan wrote:
> Hello Oleksandr,
>
> >>We run Weston full-screen, cannot understand what exactly the problem?
> Is it possible for the guest to render natively on a display ?

If you mean without passing through a display? I guess no,

we are talking about para-virtual display

> If yes, is it possible for a display to be switched between the
> guests, dynamically ?

In our setup we have Weston + display backend, so all guests are Weston
clients

internally (display backend creates a new Weston client for each guest).

Thus, every client is just a Weston window, so you can switch as you wish

BTW, just out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve?

> Thanks,
> Rajagopal

Thank you,

Oleksandr

> [...]
> > [2] https://github.com/xen-troops/displ_be
> >
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/xen-troops/displ_be__;!K6dmGCEab4ueJg!j9cYW5SDDMpbQgDU4fEoDSV6yFKY_aAAgigiDgIXgR2EDwZV9aWLE4YrzkEfpgnqcI3DuTe6xg$>
> > [3]
> >
> https://github.com/xen-troops/meta-xt-prod-gen3-test/tree/master/recipes-dom0/dom0-image-thin-initramfs/files/meta-xt-prod-extra/recipes-extended/guest-addons/files
> >
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/xen-troops/meta-xt-prod-gen3-test/tree/master/recipes-dom0/dom0-image-thin-initramfs/files/meta-xt-prod-extra/recipes-extended/guest-addons/files__;!K6dmGCEab4ueJg!j9cYW5SDDMpbQgDU4fEoDSV6yFKY_aAAgigiDgIXgR2EDwZV9aWLE4YrzkEfpgnqcI2yhP65ug$>

Disclaimer: "This message is intended only for the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to other confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. Please notify the sender by e-mail and delete this message. GlobalEdge does not accept any liability for virus infected mails."
Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
On 11/15/19 5:13 AM, Rajagopal Aravindan wrote:
> Hello Oleksandr,
>
> >>BTW, just out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve?
> We would like to share a single display among multiple guests, with
> ONLY 1 guest's GUI visible at any time.
> Dynamically, the user should be able to switch to any guest's GUI,
> through some gesture or special key stroke.
>
> Please let me know in case I am NOT clear.

Well, this is all doable and the most work is NOT on Xen/PV display side:
1. If you use PV display backend + Weston then every guest is a Weston
client
window
2. From #1 - control Weston to show only 1 guest at a time, I guess you
would need
to write some SW to do that

From the above, there is nothing left on Xen side

Re: Xen PV display drivers [ In reply to ]
If I understand correctly, you are asking the hwoto of x display and vnc.
see:https://www.hep.phy.cam.ac.uk/vnc_docs/howitworks.html

and

https://gerardnico.com/ssh/x11/display

Rajagopal Aravindan <a.rajagopal.81@gmail.com> ?2019?8?29??? ??1:50???