Mailing List Archive

Booting Xen over U-BOOT
Dear All,

I am working on a variant of NXP based IMX8 QUAD MAX target. Recently IMX8 QUAD MAX has been supported with xen hypervisor.

Currently i am trying to get xen up by booting over u-boot. However, by the documentation it is not clear the way SD card partition has to be done and the uboot arguments for xen hypervisor.

Can anyone post the way of getting xen running over u-boot ?

Best Regards

Re: Booting Xen over U-BOOT [ In reply to ]
On 12/08/2019 13:02, kasandesh wrote:
> Dear All,

Hello,

> I am working on a variant of  NXP based IMX8 QUAD MAX target. Recently IMX8 QUAD
> MAX has been supported with xen hypervisor.

The patches are under review but not yet in mainline.

> Currently i am trying to get xen up by booting over u-boot. However, by the
> documentation it is not clear the way SD card partition has to be done and the
> uboot arguments for xen hypervisor.

I would recommend to first read [1]. There are examples of setup using U-boot
and the SDCard. For instance see [2].

If you still have doubt, feel free to ask here.

> Can anyone post the way of getting xen running over u-boot ?
>
> Best Regards

Cheers,

[1] https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions
[2] https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Arndale

> Sent with ProtonMail <https://protonmail.com> Secure Email.

Julien Grall

Re: Booting Xen over U-BOOT [ In reply to ]
Hi Julien,

> On 12/08/2019 13:02, kasandesh wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
>
> Hello,
>
> > I am working on a variant of  NXP based IMX8 QUAD MAX target. Recently IMX8 QUAD
> > MAX has been supported with xen hypervisor.
>
> The patches are under review but not yet in mainline.

I understand this, but i took the pre released images from NXP which according to their documentation work without any modification.

Documentation says to copy the binaries and running xenmmcboot will run xen and dom0.

The image release in 4.14.98_2.0.0_ga boots successfully in native boot. I tested on Image and Image-fsl-imx8qm-mek-dom0.dtb.
However, via xen it fails to detect the SD card partition.

So, i want to know whether problem is in binaries or in the way of booting procedure.

Re: Booting Xen over U-BOOT [ In reply to ]
On 8/19/19 9:08 AM, kasandesh wrote:
> Hi Julien,

Hello,

>> On 12/08/2019 13:02, kasandesh wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> I am working on a variant of  NXP based IMX8 QUAD MAX target. Recently IMX8 QUAD
>>> MAX has been supported with xen hypervisor.
>>
>> The patches are under review but not yet in mainline.
>
> I understand this, but i took the pre released images from NXP which according to their documentation work without any modification.
>
> Documentation says to copy the binaries and running xenmmcboot will run xen and dom0.
>
> The image release in 4.14.98_2.0.0_ga boots successfully in native boot. I tested on Image and Image-fsl-imx8qm-mek-dom0.dtb.
> However, via xen it fails to detect the SD card partition.
>
> So, i want to know whether problem is in binaries or in the way of booting procedure.

I don't know what NXP released nor the documentation you are referring
to. However, I doubt this is a vanilla Xen Project.

You should contact NXP directly (or whoever is behind it) to get support
from them. This mailing list is only focusing on upstream Xen.

Julien Grall