Mailing List Archive

Invalid argument - pfSense domU on Alpine Linux
Folks,

I'm new to Xen although fairly well versed otherwise in basic Linux and FreeBSD sysadmin stuff.

I have a fresh, up-to-date install of Alpine Linux using their pre-built Xen dom0 distro.

Alpine 3.9
Xen 4.11.1

I have been able to successfully create a Alpine Linux domU on this system.

I want to create a pfSense domU, but I clearly have a problem in my cfg file syntax, and the error message is not very informative.

My cfg file contents:
-----BEGIN-----
builder = 'hvm'
vcpus = 1
memory = 512
maxvcpus = 1
name = 'pfsensetest'
firmware = 'bios'

disk = [
'format=raw, vdev=hda, access=w, target=/root/pfsensetest.img',
'format=raw, vdev=hdc, access=r, devtype=cdrom, target=/root/pfSense-CE-2.4.4-RELEASE-amd64.iso'
]

boot = "dc"
-----END-----

The error message I get is:

libxl: error: libxl_create.c:589:libxl__domain_make: domain creation fail: Invalid argument
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:964:initiate_domain_create: cannot make domain: -3

How can I determine where the syntax error might be?

--Paul

Paul Suh
VP of Deployment
Cypient Black
Re: Invalid argument - pfSense domU on Alpine Linux [ In reply to ]
Answering my own question for the archives:

It's (sort of) in the FAQ's at:

> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Common_Problems#What_are_the_names_of_different_hardware_features_related_to_virtualization_and_Xen.3F
>
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Common_Problems#I_can.27t_start_any_HVM_guests.2C_I_get_error_.22libxl_domain_make_domain_creation_fail:_cannot_make_domain:_-3.22._PV_guests_work_fine.

The error message is the same as the second entry if you're on older hardware that lacks the Intel VT-x or AMD-V extensions. I'll update the wiki once I can get access, but the request page for editor access gives a 404. :-P

--Paul

Paul Suh
VP of Deployment
Cypient Black