pointers/guidance greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Andrew.

Re: xen 4.8 live migration [ In reply to ]
On 2019-02-11 14:18, Andrew wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am running xen 4.8 on debian 9 (compiled with the dists build
> package from xen source... due to an issue with stack size in the
> debian relsase). I have previously used the xm live migration to move
> guests between host machines in older versions, and have since moved
> on to xl
>
> I have noticed that there are live migration suggestions in the
> xend-config.sxp file (such as the port to listen to), however none of
> the attributes take effect, and there is no service listening. I'm
> struggling to find accurate guidance online (mixed
> documentation/how-to-guides).
>
> My question is, is there a way to do live migrations (via the
> command-line) between hosts in Xen 4.8?  I am using shared storage.
> Any pointers/guidance greatly appreciated.

Using xl toolstack this works for me(c):
xl -v migrate <domU> <xenhost>

Uses ssh as transport. See "xl help migrate" and "man 1 xl".

--
Adi Pircalabu

Re: xen 4.8 live migration [ In reply to ]
Thanks Adi,

I have tried this (via ssh) - it fails/crashes the guest. I was
wondering if there is another way to do it (besides ssh)?    I can only
see ssh listed in the migrate options now.

Thank you,

Andrew.

Re: xen 4.8 live migration [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 2/11/19 10:55 AM, Andrew wrote:

> I have tried this (via ssh) - it fails/crashes the guest. I was
> wondering if there is another way to do it (besides ssh)?    I can only
> see ssh listed in the migrate options now.

Can you share how it fails/crashes? Does it end up in a black hole and
disappear? Does the domU actually arrive and try to resume? Does it
explode with kernel stack traces after resuming?

Hans

Re: xen 4.8 live migration [ In reply to ]
On 2019-02-11 20:55, Andrew wrote:
> Thanks Adi,
>
> I have tried this (via ssh) - it fails/crashes the guest. I was
> wondering if there is another way to do it (besides ssh)?    I can
> only see ssh listed in the migrate options now.

Andrew, what does the following command return on both source and
destination Xen hosts?
egrep '^(model|flags)' /proc/cpuinfo

--
Adi Pircalabu

Re: xen 4.8 live migration [ In reply to ]
Hi Hans,

The source stays up, but isn't migrated. I can see the ssh go through
(and the high CPU load). I get this from the source host:

migration target: Ready to receive domain.
Saving to migration stream new xl format (info 0x3/0x0/7632)
0x3/0x0/7632)
 Savefile contains xl domain config in JSON format
Parsing config from <saved>
xc: info: Saving domain 5, type x86 HVM
xc: info: Found x86 HVM domain from Xen 4.8
xc: info: Restoring domain
xc: error: Mapping pfn 0x207e00 (mfn 0x207e00, type 0) failed with -22:
Internal error
xc: error: Restore failed (0 = Success): Internal error
libxl: error: libxl_stream_read.c:852:libxl__xc_domain_restore_done:
restoring domain: Success
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1223:domcreate_rebuild_done: cannot
(re-)build domain: -3
libxl: error: libxl.c:1575:libxl__destroy_domid: non-existant domain 4
libxl: error: libxl.c:1534:domain_destroy_callback: unable to destroy
guest with domid 4
libxl: error: libxl.c:1463:domain_destroy_cb: destruction of domain 4 failed
migration target: Domain creation failed (code -3).
libxl: error: libxl_utils.c:508:libxl_read_exactly: file/stream
truncated reading ipc msg header from domain 5 save/restore helper
stdout pipe
libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:129:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: domain 5
save/restore helper [15938] died due to fatal signal Broken pipe
migration sender: libxl_domain_suspend failed (rc=-3)
libxl: info: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: migration
transport process [15935] exited with error status 1
Migration failed, resuming at sender.
xc: error: Dom 5 not suspended: (shutdown 0, reason 255): Internal error
libxl: error: libxl_dom_suspend.c:460:libxl__domain_resume:
xc_domain_resume failed for domain 5: Invalid argument

CPU's are the same on both hosts:

#egrep '^(model|flags)' /proc/cpuinfo

model        : 85
model name    : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6148 CPU @ 2.40GHz
flags        : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mca cmov pat clflush
acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon
rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc pni pclmulqdq monitor est ssse3 fma cx16
sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm
abm 3dnowprefetch epb ibrs ibpb stibp fsgsbase bmi1 hle avx2 bmi2 erms
rtm avx512f avx512dq rdseed adx clflushopt clwb avx512cd avx512bw
avx512vl xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 cqm_llc cqm_occup_llc cqm_mbm_total
cqm_mbm_local dtherm ida arat pln pts hwp hwp_act_window hwp_epp hwp_pkg_req

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Andrew.