Mailing List Archive

Host resource footprint
Dear List:

Can anyone tell me the resource footprint of a minimal Xen VM? In other
words, how much CPU, memory, disk resources are required to run 1 VM
with, for example, a simple 1.68 MB LEAF distro?

I'm preparing to create a virtual network to test various LEAF routers
and I'm trying to decide whether to use UML or Xen. VMware, which I
already have, is out of the question because it limits NICs to 3 per VM.
I'll need to simulate 5 routers and several workstations on networks
attached to interfaces of each LEAF router. Keeping the resource usage
to a minimum on each VM will allow me to create and test this virtual
network on the proposed Xen host. The Xen host would be a Dell Precision
360 2.4GHz P4 w/800 MHz FSB, 1GB 333MHz dual-channel ECC SDRAM, 36 GB
SCSI RAID1.

In this test, there will be 5 LEAF routers. The number of network
interfaces on each will be 3, 5, 5, 6, 7. Each network will have at
least 1 minimal linux VM besides the LEAF router(s). I expect I'll need
a total of about 18-20 VM's.

Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

--Cal Webster