I have the same problem , via ftp when i put a big file .

On the console , i must make ifconfig pethX down/up to restore the network .

I'am using xen-3.0.3-0-4 on debian - etch .

Re: Xen network freeze [ In reply to ]
Erwan MAS wrote:
> Hello ,
>
> I have a configuration with xen with 2 domu .
> One domu have a nfs server , Other have a ftp server .
>
> When i try to write a big file to the nfs server
> ( so i generate a big traffic , on network and on disk )
> dom0 and domU's become inaccessible via network .
>
> I have the same problem , via ftp when i put a big file .
>
> On the console , i must make ifconfig pethX down/up to restore the network .
>
> I'am using xen-3.0.3-0-4 on debian - etch .

Can you use rsync instead of NFS or FTP? Is your file transfer as large
as 2 GB? While NFS is very useful for lightweight file transfers, it
gets..... awkward for high-speed trasnsfers. Also, which version of NFS
are you using? Have you optimized it at all?

Re: Xen network freeze [ In reply to ]
Quoting Erwan MAS <erwan@mas.nom.fr>:

> Hello ,
>
> I have a configuration with xen with 2 domu .
> One domu have a nfs server , Other have a ftp server .
>
> When i try to write a big file to the nfs server
> ( so i generate a big traffic , on network and on disk )
> dom0 and domU's become inaccessible via network .
>
> I have the same problem , via ftp when i put a big file .
>
> On the console , i must make ifconfig pethX down/up to restore the network .
>
> I'am using xen-3.0.3-0-4 on debian - etch .

I've noticed something simliar with SLES 10 SP1. After a few hours,
I'd loose total network connectivity unless I stood at the console and
pinged something. I updated my e1000 driver from sourceforge and
haven't seen the issue since.

What server platform are you using - specifically your nic (lspci)

-Errol

Re: Xen network freeze [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 02:59:30PM +0100, Erwan MAS wrote:
| Hello ,
|
| I have a configuration with xen with 2 domu .
| One domu have a nfs server , Other have a ftp server .
|
| When i try to write a big file to the nfs server
| ( so i generate a big traffic , on network and on disk )
| dom0 and domU's become inaccessible via network .

typically when i tried to synchronize a directory which contains recents photos
on the nfs server .
Each file 2 MB , many files .

Via ftp or via nfs or via rsync , the symptoms is the same ,
all domU are inaccessible .

I must use the compression on rsync or the option bwlimit , to limit
the traffic .

My card :
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 190 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Re: Xen network freeze [ In reply to ]
Hi, I have a similar problem when running backups on my VMs using rsync
(backuppc actually, but it uses rsync).
First thought was to limit bandwidth, but they are bridged on 1000Mbit
interface and backup goes as slow as 1 MB/s due to poor software of NAS that
contains backup - so I don't know if there is a sense in limiting rsync to,
say 10Mbits while it uses 8 MBits at most...

Re: Xen network freeze [ In reply to ]
Hello, how are you.

I have same problem with xenserver 6.5 SP1, when i send backups for FTP, all
network vms freezes.
This is a xenserver limitation??

Regards

--