Mailing List Archive

REPOSITORY, SERVER, and VIRTUAL OWNERSHIP
Regarding my satellite connection. I have offered a repository and
server (operating out of my LAN) to serve Dom 0 and Dom U build
contributions -- if maintained by the contributor(s). My satellite ISP
indicated that there are bandwidth limitations and if you people get
involved and we find they are inadequate I will try to find money to
extend that bandwidth. This server will guarantee that the latest stable
packages are available on an on-going basis. I indicated that Xen
developers would have authority to determine and influence other issues
such as the placement of test and unstable builds on the server as it
suited their purposes. In other words, if desirable, part of the server
operation could be dedicated to Xen development issues that require a
server. All these considerations impact the choice of the server and
necessitate set up by a knowledgeable web master. But for the general
public I indicated that only stable build contributions would be served.
Every build contribution to the repository would have an associated web
page maintained by the remote web master. I generated quite a bit of
email on this subject -- I don't know if you followed the thread as it
got confused with another. Anyway, this server would operate under Xen
development authority and would have a remote web master and
administrator far more qualified than myself (hopefully approved by the
development team) -- I have requested a volunteer(s) to work remotely in
this capacity (with me) and define and implement web server operation
details. I also offered to the contributors (including developers)
remote access to the LAN (if they found it advantageous) so these
packages could be exercised without downloading them (saving internet
bandwidth). I offered gobs of hard drive and this is probably where the
administrator would choose to implement LVM. I would simply be a
provider and responsible for maintaining the physical resources
involved. I do not want to represent myself as something I am not and
feel that this service could be extremely beneficial to everyone
involved. See the email threads.

Regardless, I will be setting up such a server. But I am giving you guys
first crack at usage (part or full) of this server. If you guys are
involved it would be a much more professional server set up than what I
would do for myself. I thought you guys could do a much more
professional job and so my email deliberations for such a hosting
situation have been put forth as a "proposal", the character of which
require that your development group has to agree to be involved at the
very minimum as a regulatory body. I am perfectly willing to see this
set up so you people have as much control over this repository as you
feel you want. You would be calling the shots, not me. This way you
don't find yourselves subjected to someone else's whims and authority
and your authority is not split off into other directions. You are even
welcome to assume the role as prime remote web master over the parts of
my lan you may find useful and request additional resources. All this
comes FREE with no legal obligations in any form on your part so as not
to compromise your project and other associations in any way. This
should be considered by you as an opportunity which you may or may not
want to accept for your own reasons. Anyway, you have whatever time you
need to deliberate this issue and state your terms -- if any. I fully
understand if you feel you have to reject this proposal. I just want to
ensure you have first crack at this.

No hard feelings either way regarding any of your decisions. I am just
trying to be helpful in the ways that I feel I can be helpful and learn
at the same time. Not every idea is in the right place at the right time
and so that is your decision and not mine. If you accept the
opportunity development will have "VIRTUAL" ownership. I did not send
any email to [Xen-devel], you can do that if you see fit.

Thanks -- Ted

Re: REPOSITORY, SERVER, and VIRTUAL OWNERSHIP [ In reply to ]
Sure.. give us the list some details.. logins etc. I like this idea,
having iron to develop on.

best regards,
soffi

ps. Dude are you studying at Harward Law or something?

--snip--