Mailing List Archive

Xen + NV-CUDA: a new possible way?
Hello all!

I'm a Xen user and I'm very satisfied by its power features.

Recently, reading some technical articles over internet, I have
discoverd the big potentialities of the NV-CUDA framework in relation to
the scientific and graphic computing that takes strong advantage from
the most recent GPUs. Someone has used it for password recovery,
realtime rendering, etc, with great results.

It would be possible to use this technology in the Xen project to
achieve better performance? (NOT for VGA paravirtualization...)
It could be a significative step for the develop in virtualization
technology?

Someone, in experimental way, has (re)wrote, for example, the md-raid
kernel modules using the CUDA framework to accelerate some features...
and it seems that works fine.
Why not for Xen, or related technologies, including dynamic translation?
If yes, could be a good manner to achieve more performance or a way to
drammatically off-load the CPU taking advantage from the impressive
parallel computing capabilities of GPUs.
Think at xen-kernel that execute separetly some kinds of task between
CPU and GPU, like a super-cluster that separates the pure computing from
the I/O computing.

What do you think about this draft idea?

Any feedback is welcome...

RE: Xen + NV-CUDA: a new possible way? [ In reply to ]
This is a great idea, please also forward to xen-devel mailing list for a response from the development community. Thanks.

Stephen Spector
Community Manager, Xen.org
stephen.spector@xen.org
(772) 621-5062