Mailing List Archive

How to build xen with a newer kernel?
Hello,
Have anyone built the Xen kernels with a different kernel than what it comes with? I would like to know how to build them with newer kernels.

Thanks,

Gwon Hee

Re: How to build xen with a newer kernel? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 07:43:27AM -0800, cm ko wrote:
> Hello,
> Have anyone built the Xen kernels with a different kernel than what it
> comes with? I would like to know how to build them with newer kernels.

Its a serious amount of work to port Xen to newer kernels...

We do this all the time for Fedora, since we need to track current
upstream kernels. For Fedora Core 6, we've got Xen 3.0.3 kernels based
on 2.6.18 and 2.6.19, while for Fedora 7 test1 we've got Xen 3.0.4 kernels
based on 2.6.18 and 2.6.19. By the time Fedora 7 is GA, we hope to have
Xen 3.0.4 on 2.6.20 finished too. The source RPMs for any release kernels
are on our download site. Juan also makes his Mercurial trees available

http://hg.et.redhat.com/kernel/

NB, although shown there, the 2.6.20 based trees are not ready yet - those
are just two staging repos, so ignore them. The 2.6.18/19 kernels should
be in good shape. The main issue is that these trees don't get fed
through the regression test harness like the xen-unstable.hg tree does.
Then again, the Fedora kernels have a huge real world userbase.

Also, xen-unstable.hg itself was finally upgraded to 2.6.18 so the next
3.0.5 release will be much closer to current upstream, although it'd be
nice to see it go all the way to 2.6.20 and then actively track each
new upstream stable release.

Regards,
Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston. +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=- Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ -=|