Have the patches made it into any official Xen tree yet?

I'd like to move some of my firewalls into Xen systems, but really need
support for all my NIC's before I can do that.. :)

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 30 January 2007 18:29, Nate Carlson wrote:
> I'd like to move some of my firewalls into Xen systems, but really need
> support for all my NIC's before I can do that.. :)

you can always use vlan.

bye
d.

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
The patch doesn't actually work properly. It needs fixing before it goes in
the tree.

-- Keir

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
do you need 3 physical nics? or just multiple virtual nics?

i had a problem with this a while back for a few firewalls because i
wanted a bunch of vlans in a domU. long story short, doing the vlans
inside the domU vs outside worked out much better for both managment
and performance. however, i had serious issues with broadcom tg3
chipset and vlans+xen. once switching to e1000 everything was nice.

lots of info, may not be applicable, just throwing it out there.

-- Christian

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
On 30/1/07 5:42 pm, "Christian Hergert" <christian.hergert@gmail.com> wrote:

> do you need 3 physical nics? or just multiple virtual nics?
>
> i had a problem with this a while back for a few firewalls because i
> wanted a bunch of vlans in a domU. long story short, doing the vlans
> inside the domU vs outside worked out much better for both managment
> and performance. however, i had serious issues with broadcom tg3
> chipset and vlans+xen. once switching to e1000 everything was nice.
>
> lots of info, may not be applicable, just throwing it out there.

The patch in question allows use of more than 3 virtual NICs per domU. It
has nothing to do with the physical network configuration in dom0.

-- Keir

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Christian Hergert wrote:
> do you need 3 physical nics? or just multiple virtual nics?

Virtual NIC's..

> i had a problem with this a while back for a few firewalls because i
> wanted a bunch of vlans in a domU. long story short, doing the vlans
> inside the domU vs outside worked out much better for both managment and
> performance. however, i had serious issues with broadcom tg3 chipset and
> vlans+xen. once switching to e1000 everything was nice.

I've also got tg3's, so I believe I'll run into the same issues.
Unfortunately, mine are integrated NIC's in a system with no PCI slots
available. :(

> lots of info, may not be applicable, just throwing it out there.

*nods* - thanks!

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Keir Fraser wrote:
> The patch doesn't actually work properly. It needs fixing before it goes
> in the tree.

Bummer. :(

Where is the patch again? If it's non-code stuff (ie - just
management-side stuff), I can take a look at fixing it up.. but if it
actually touches Xen internals, nothing I'd be able to do.

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
Attached the latest version of it. It probably applies to tip of
xen-unstable but I haven't checked.

-- Keir

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Keir Fraser wrote:
> Attached the latest version of it. It probably applies to tip of
> xen-unstable but I haven't checked.

Yowza! Yeah, this one is beyond me. :)

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 30 January 2007 19:15, Nate Carlson wrote:
> I've also got tg3's, so I believe I'll run into the same issues.
> Unfortunately, mine are integrated NIC's in a system with no PCI slots
> available. :(

i have tg3 and no problem at all...
the only thing (not sure about tg3 or all chipsets): tx checksum with vlan.

bye
d.

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Daniele Palumbo wrote:
> i have tg3 and no problem at all...
> the only thing (not sure about tg3 or all chipsets): tx checksum with vlan.

To confirm, turn it on or off?

Re: Greater than 3 NIC's in DomU? [ In reply to ]
turn off hardware checksuming for tx