Newbie Q -- how to setup virtual IDTs ?
I am trying to port a driver that register interrupt handlers for hardware counters in processor.

As the IDT is owned by Xen, when I run this in host OS I get errors.

I want to know how can I setup virtual IDTs such that I program the counters. On overflow, Xen is notified about the overflow and the interrupt is passed to my driver.

what files do I look ? What types of hypercalls I should use ?

Thanks for all your help
Shobha

---------------------------------
Re: Newbie Q -- how to setup virtual IDTs ? [ In reply to ]
On 14/11/06 11:21 pm, "shobha ranganathan" <shobha_ranganathan@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I am trying to port a driver that register interrupt handlers for hardware
> counters in processor.
>
> As the IDT is owned by Xen, when I run this in host OS I get errors.
>
> I want to know how can I setup virtual IDTs such that I program the counters.
> On overflow, Xen is notified about the overflow and the interrupt is passed to
> my driver.
>
> what files do I look ? What types of hypercalls I should use ?

If you are using Linux then oprofile now has support for guests running on
Xen. If you are using another OS then you will need to make use of the
xenoprof hypercalls provided by Xen to register your interest in hardware
counters for profiling. The Xen patches for the Linux oprofile code would be
a good starting point here.

-- Keir