When is this turned on.

Thanks,

K. Y

Re: supervisory_mode_kernel [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 14:38 -0700, Ky Srinivasan wrote:
> When is this turned on.

It is turned on by passing supervisor_mode_kernel=y when you build xen.

Ian.

Re: supervisory_mode_kernel [ In reply to ]
Ian,

Sorry for asking an imprecise question. I understand the mechanism for turning on this flag. What was not clear to me was when we would turn this on.

Regards,

K. Y

<1163584366.9325.28.camel@localhost.localdomain>, Ian Campbell

Re: supervisory_mode_kernel [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 07:52 -0700, Ky Srinivasan wrote:
> Sorry for asking an imprecise question. I understand the mechanism for turning
> on this flag. What was not clear to me was when we would turn this on.

Probably never.

It was mainly intended as a proof of concept. There once was an idea
that it might be possible run a Xen/linux kernel+a thin shim on bare
metal with negligible loss of performance. With the paravirt ops
approach being taken with the upstreaming work there is little point in
that anymore.

Ian.