Mailing List Archive

Free pages in guest VM
Hi
While performing migration of a guest virtual machine from a physical node
to another,
it would be nice if we can figure out the free pages in the guest VM and opt
not to transfer them.
(Currently I have a guest VM of size 1GB and less than 300MB is occupied)
1.I came across in the paper Xen and the Art of Virtualization, that guest
VM can be made
to balloon out the free pages.
2.What is the way to figure out free pages in guest VM?
3.Can this be implemented in the tools (xend) code as a part of the
migration framework?
(I was able to note some code where ballooning is happeing.. ie while memory
is being allocated to VM
from hypervisor but i was not able to locate a code where VM releases memory
to hypervisor. Where
can I find it?)

Can you please give me some pointers on this?

Thank you
Arun
http://www4.ncsu.edu/~abnagara