Mailing List Archive

RE: Re: Getting rid of xenbus_suspend(): tpmfront driverimpacted?
The TPM protocol in contrast assumes a
> reliable connection from the computer to the device and that all
commands
> finish correctly and responses are received by the apps *and* that
requests
> are not resent. How does the block driver handle this? Will the
frontend
> driver still receive explicit notification of a shutdown?

Blkfront remembers un-acknowledged requests and reissues them after a
re-connect. It doesn't matter whether the requests have previously been
issued or not, as we know there will be no reordering hazards within the
request stream, as there are no ordering guarantees. It currently
doesn't use the suspend notification.

Ian

RE: Re: Getting rid of xenbus_suspend(): tpmfront driverimpacted? [ In reply to ]
xen-devel-bounces@lists.xensource.com wrote on 11/05/2006 11:44:14 AM:

> The TPM protocol in contrast assumes a
> > reliable connection from the computer to the device and that all
> commands
> > finish correctly and responses are received by the apps *and* that
> requests
> > are not resent. How does the block driver handle this? Will the
> frontend
> > driver still receive explicit notification of a shutdown?
>
> Blkfront remembers un-acknowledged requests and reissues them after a
> re-connect. It doesn't matter whether the requests have previously been

I cannot possibly reissue commands like a TPM_Extend(value). It's
performing a hashing operation on a register of the TPM using a formular
like

PCR_n = SHA1(PCR_n || value)

where || is a concatenation of two byte arrays.

So issuing this command twice would put the TPM's PCR register into a
state that it is not supposed to be in.

> issued or not, as we know there will be no reordering hazards within the
> request stream, as there are no ordering guarantees. It currently
> doesn't use the suspend notification.

Unfortunately the TPM is a device with different constraints.

Stefan

PS: Specs for the TPM are here:
https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/specs/TPM/tpmwg-mainrev62_Part3_Commands.pdf
page 114 talks about the TPM_Extend command.