Mailing List Archive

Linux 2.6 Kernel To Include Xen Virtualization Technology
Great!!!

http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=59300297

Linux 2.6 Kernel To Include Xen Virtualization Technology
Infiniband, NFS 4, Virtualization coming for kernel

By Paula Rooney, CRN
9:07 PM EST Tue. Feb. 01, 2005

A forthcoming update to the Linux 2.6 kernel will incorporate the Xen open
source virtualization technology, said the man who maintains the Linux
kernel.

At the Enterprise Linux Summit, Andrew Morton -- Linus Torvalds' right-hand
man and maintainer of the Linux kernel for the Open Source Development Labs
(ODSL) -- said he will incorporate the Xen virtualization code "in the near
future. "

He would not say if the virtualization code will be rolled into the Linux
2.6.11 update. Available in February, that update will support Infiniband.

"I came this close to merging Xen [into the Linux kernel] a couple of months
ago, but we decided it was not the way to do it," said Morton, noting that
the Xen developers need to polish the code. "It'll go in four weeks after we
get it."

Re: Linux 2.6 Kernel To Include Xen Virtualization Technology [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:09:50 -0600, Tim Freeman <tfreeman@mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> Great!!!
>
> http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=59300297
>
> Linux 2.6 Kernel To Include Xen Virtualization Technology
> Infiniband, NFS 4, Virtualization coming for kernel
>
> By Paula Rooney, CRN
> 9:07 PM EST Tue. Feb. 01, 2005
>
> A forthcoming update to the Linux 2.6 kernel will incorporate the Xen open
> source virtualization technology, said the man who maintains the Linux
> kernel.
>
> At the Enterprise Linux Summit, Andrew Morton -- Linus Torvalds' right-hand
> man and maintainer of the Linux kernel for the Open Source Development Labs
> (ODSL) -- said he will incorporate the Xen virtualization code "in the near
> future. "
>
> He would not say if the virtualization code will be rolled into the Linux
> 2.6.11 update. Available in February, that update will support Infiniband.
>
> "I came this close to merging Xen [into the Linux kernel] a couple of months
> ago, but we decided it was not the way to do it," said Morton, noting that
> the Xen developers need to polish the code. "It'll go in four weeks after we
> get it."

How good is the amd64 port at the moment?