(Smoothwall), and I would like to run this on the Same machine that Terminal
Services is running on.

So, I could use VMWare - But I would prefer something cheaper, largely due
to my friends budget. I saw a recent article where thanks to Intel, XEN
will support Windows in 2005, but that doesn't help me now. In the
meantime, what other alternatives exist to running Windows / Linux on the
same box, to give me a working configuration similar to what I describe
above ?
Re: Alternative to VMWare [ In reply to ]
On 29 Jan 2005, at 22:59, George Pace wrote:

> So, I could use VMWare – But I would prefer something cheaper, largely
> due to my friends budget.  I saw a recent article where thanks to
> Intel, XEN will support Windows in 2005, but that doesn’t help me
> now.  In the meantime, what other alternatives exist to running
> Windows / Linux on the same box, to give me a working configuration
> similar to what I describe above ?

AFAIK, Xen will be able to support Windows only on Vanderpool-enabled
CPUs.

Xen is currently unable to virtualize Windows without hardware support
from the CPU. Linux, OpenBSD, NetBSD and Plan9 can be virtualized since
the source code is free, available and modifiable, and modifications to
the source code are currently required to support a OS to be run under
Xen.

Re: Alternative to VMWare [ In reply to ]
George Pace wrote:

> I am working on a solution for a friend of mine who has a small
> business. He has an application that runs on Windows 2000 Server (which
> we plan on upgrading to Windows 2003). I want to put a better Firewall
> in place (Smoothwall), and I would like to run this on the Same machine
> that Terminal Services is running on.
>

> So, I could use VMWare – But I would prefer something cheaper, largely
> due to my friends budget. I saw a recent article where thanks to Intel,
> XEN will support Windows in 2005, but that doesn’t help me now. In the
> meantime, what other alternatives exist to running Windows / Linux on
> the same box, to give me a working configuration similar to what I
> describe above ?

www.colinux.org

Ron