Mailing List Archive

booting erro on FC3
I'm a newbie. :)
I followed the steps written by Jerone Young:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10562241

but i found an error at the 17th step:
17. mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-xen0.img 2.6.10-xen0
it said:"No module ata_piix found for kernel 2.6.10-xen0, aborting."

so I commented the line of "module /boot/initrd-2.6.10-xen0.img" in the
grub.conf.
My grub.conf is like this:
title Xen 2.0.3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 console=vga noreboot
module /vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/hda1 ro console=tty0

i selected the Xen item when booting, but it told me an error:
----
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Warning:unable to open an initial console.
kernel panic - not syncing:No init found.Try passing init= option to kernel.
<0> Rebooting in 1 seconds..

So i download a img file(initrd-fc3.img) as the follow web provided:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/faq.html#a5.2
and add a line to the grub.conf:
title Xen 2.0.3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 console=vga noreboot
module /vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0 root=/dev/hda1 ro console=tty0
module /initrd-fc3.img
when booting, it told me an error like this:
----
kjournald starting.Commit interval 5 seconds
mount:error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
WARNING: can't access (null)
exec of init ((null)) failed !!!:14
umount /initrd/dev failed:2
kernel panic - not syncing:Attempted to kill init!
<0> Rebooting in 1 seconds..

what should I do?
Re: booting erro on FC3 [ In reply to ]
y-huang@it.fusione.co.jp wrote:

> I'm a newbie. :)
> I followed the steps written by Jerone Young:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10562241
> but i found an error at the 17th step:
> 17. mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10-xen0.img 2.6.10-xen0
> it said:"No module ata_piix found for kernel 2.6.10-xen0, aborting."

I believe the error is exactly as it says : mkinitrd needs a kernel
module which is not available.
The easy solution would be to make sure your .config includes ata_piix
as a module, and
recompile the xen-0 kernel,

See
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html,
section 2.3.3 Custom XenLinux Builds.

Regards,

Fajar

Re: booting erro on FC3 [ In reply to ]
I had the same problem on my FC3 system this morning.

The base FC3 system has ata_piix built as a module so it is added to
/etc/modprobe.conf. When Xen builds it is compiled into the kernel.
By removing the ata_piix from (or commenting it out of) modprobe.conf
you can then successfully create the initrd file and boot.

That change also allowed me to build the initrd file for xenU.

--
Don Fry
brazilnut@us.ibm.com