Mailing List Archive

Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found"
Advance apologies for a potential retransmit – the moderator doesn’t
seem to have got to my previous post yet, so here goes from a registered
account…

I'm following the ttylinux example in section 3.3 of the xen user
manual, and getting the following error:

[root@localhost quintonh]#  /usr/sbin/xm create -c
/etc/xen/ttylinux.domain-config-file
Using config file "/etc/xen/ttylinux.domain-config-file".
Error: Error creating domain: vbd: Segment not found:
uname=file:/home/quintonh/Downloads/xen/ttylinux-xen

My domain config file is attached, but essentially looks like this:

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-xenU"
memory = 64
name = "ttylinux"
nics=1
ip = "1.2.3.4"
disk = [ 'file:/home/quintonh/Downloads/xen/ttylinux-xen,hdb2,w' ]
root = "/dev/hdb2 ro"

And the file is there:

[root@localhost xen]# pwd
/home/quintonh/Downloads/xen
[root@localhost xen]# ls -als
total 26196
   4 drwx------  3 quintonh quintonh     4096 Jan 25 15:47 .
   4 drwx------  8 quintonh quintonh     4096 Jan 17 16:29 ..
16020 -rw-rw-r--  1 quintonh quintonh 16384000 Jan 25 14:39 ttylinux-xen

Any ideas?

Re: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found" [ In reply to ]
Quinton Hoole wrote:
> I'm following the ttylinux example in section 3.3 of the xen user
> manual, and getting the following error:
[...]
> disk = [ 'file:/home/quintonh/Downloads/xen/ttylinux-xen,hdb2,w' ]
[...]
> Any ideas?

It takes a while for a mail to pass thru the sf.net mailing list system :-).

You're using file-backed storage, but it seems that you don't have loop
device support compiled into your dom0 kernel. You'll have to enable
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP in your dom0 kernel configuration and rebuild.

-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

RE: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found" [ In reply to ]
> Quinton Hoole wrote:
> > I'm following the ttylinux example in section 3.3 of the xen user
> > manual, and getting the following error:
> [...]
> > disk = [ 'file:/home/quintonh/Downloads/xen/ttylinux-xen,hdb2,w' ]
> [...]
> > Any ideas?
>
> You're using file-backed storage, but it seems that you don't have
loop
> device support compiled into your dom0 kernel. You'll have to enable
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP in your dom0 kernel configuration and rebuild.

Thanks, but I'm using the standard XenLinux distribution
(vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0) which I downloaded from the Xen downloads page a
few weeks back. Surely this has the required loop device support?

RE: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found" [ In reply to ]
Hi Guys

I'm still struggling to get ttylinux running on xen - please see config
files etc below. Can anyone perhaps help? I'm using the bog standard
binaries for both xen and ttylinux downloaded from the xen site. The
only change I've made relative to the tutorial in section 3.3 of the xen
user manual are that my root partition is on /dev/hdb2, and not
/dev/sda1, so my domain config file has been edited appropriately
(/dev/sda1 does not even exist on my system). Am I perhaps confused
here? Should I be using a device other than my dom0 root device?

Thanks in advance...

RE: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found" [ In reply to ]
On 2005-01-27, 12:04, Quinton Hoole wrote:

> > Quinton Hoole wrote:
> > > I'm following the ttylinux example in section 3.3 of the xen user
> > > manual, and getting the following error:
> > [...]
> > > disk = [ 'file:/home/quintonh/Downloads/xen/ttylinux-xen,hdb2,w' ]
> > [...]
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > You're using file-backed storage, but it seems that you don't have
> loop
> > device support compiled into your dom0 kernel. You'll have to enable
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP in your dom0 kernel configuration and rebuild.
>
> Thanks, but I'm using the standard XenLinux distribution
> (vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0) which I downloaded from the Xen downloads page a
> few weeks back. Surely this has the required loop device support?

I don't know. Are you able to mount some disk image from inside of dom0?
Something like `mount /path/to/image.iso /mnt/iso -t iso9660 -o loop,ro`,
where /path/to/image.iso is ISO image of CD-ROM?
Does `losetup` work?

-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth

Re: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found" [ In reply to ]
> Thanks, but I'm using the standard XenLinux distribution
> (vmlinuz-2.6.10-xen0) which I downloaded from the Xen downloads page a
> few weeks back. Surely this has the required loop device support?

Can you check that you have the losetup command available on your system and
that it works OK?

Try:
losetup /dev/loop0 /home/quintonh/Downloads/xen/ttylinux-xen

And then change the VBD to refer to 'phy:/dev/loop0' instead of 'file:...'.

(assuming that works, you can remove the loop mapping after stopping the
domain using 'losetup -d /dev/loop0)

Cheers,
Mark

Re: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found" [ In reply to ]
> Marvellous! Fixed.

So the commands I showed just worked but the file: uname didn't? You didn't
have to install any packages to make it work?

Cheers,
Mark

RE: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found" [ In reply to ]
Marvellous! Fixed.

Thanks

Re: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found" [ In reply to ]
I've seen this problem occur before when I destroy a domain through a
non-xm tool (sending control messages myself). I think it's some sort
of dead-lock but I cannot reproduce it reliably.

Rebooting always fixes the problem for me.

Regards,

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 10:55, Mark Williamson wrote:
> > Marvellous! Fixed.
>
> So the commands I showed just worked but the file: uname didn't? You didn't
> have to install any packages to make it work?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> > Thanks

Anthony Liguori
Linux Technology Center (LTC) - IBM Austin
E-mail: aliguori@us.ibm.com
Phone: (512) 838-1208

RE: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd:segment not found" [ In reply to ]
> From: Anthony Liguori [mailto:aliguori@us.ibm.com]
> I've seen this problem occur before when I destroy a domain through a
> non-xm tool (sending control messages myself). I think it's some sort
> of dead-lock but I cannot reproduce it reliably.
>
> Rebooting always fixes the problem for me.

Not in my case. I tried that. Just shout if there's any other info I
can send you to make sense of it. Note that I'm a relative newbie to
Linux devices, so it might be something pretty trivial. See in
particular my comments yesterday re: my root device:

Re: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd:segment not found" [ In reply to ]
> "my root partition is on /dev/hdb2, and not /dev/sda1, so my domain
> config file has been edited appropriately (/dev/sda1 does not even exist
> on my system). Am I perhaps confused here? Should I be using a device
> other than my dom0 root device?"

Yes!

Each domain needs its own root file system.

Ian

RE: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd: segment not found" [ In reply to ]
Mark Williamson wrote>
> So the commands I showed just worked but the file: uname didn't? You
didn't
> have to install any packages to make it work?

Yes, that's correct. Losetup worked, and the VM boots with
phy:/dev/loop0. No additional packages required.

RE: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd:segment not found" [ In reply to ]
Yep - that's what I guessed. But using

disk = ['file:/path/to/ttylinux/rootfs,sda1,w']

as in the tutorial failed ("device not found" from what I recall). But
changing sda1 to hdb2 got around that problem, albeit the wrong
approach, I assume.

Re: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd:segment not found" [ In reply to ]
> disk = ['file:/path/to/ttylinux/rootfs,sda1,w']
>
> as in the tutorial failed ("device not found" from what I recall). But
> changing sda1 to hdb2 got around that problem, albeit the wrong
> approach, I assume.

Ah, that'll break if you don't have a /dev/sda1 to lookup in dom1. Changing
"sda1" to "0801" should work (I think this issue is fixed in the testing
tree)

Cheers,
Mark

RE: Newbie question: "error creating domain: vbd:segment not found" [ In reply to ]

> > disk = ['file:/path/to/ttylinux/rootfs,sda1,w']
> >
> > as in the tutorial failed ("device not found" from what I recall).
But
> > changing sda1 to hdb2 got around that problem, albeit the wrong
> > approach, I assume.
>
> Ah, that'll break if you don't have a /dev/sda1 to lookup in dom1.
Changing
> "sda1" to "0801" should work (I think this issue is fixed in the
testing
> tree)

Hmmm - sadly not. I've tried "0801", but I get the error:

"Error creating domain: vbd: Segment not found:
uname=file:/home/quintonh/Downloads/xen/ttylinux-xen"

Config file is now identical to that given in the manual, except with
"sda1" replaced by "0801" in both places. As before, using
off-the-shelf downloaded builds of xen and ttylinux-xen.