Mailing List Archive

Re: Fedora Core 3 -- boot ok, can't login.
> I just installed the xen2.0 on my FC2 system, it works well. So I
> guess it is the FC3 problem. And also I guess xen2.0 does not support
> the udev well.

It turns out to be fairly simple to boot FC3 on Xen -- the problem is
that it relies on an initial ramdisk (initrd) to bootstrap itself.

So, you have two possible ways to get an FC3 filesystem working:

1. Manually create some device nodes in /dev. To do this, boot a
rescue disk or some other partition and then mount the
root filesystem, and:
# mknod /mnt/dev/null c 1 3
# mknod /mnt/dev/console c 5 1

2. Load and run a suitable initrd file. You can either use one
provided in the /boot directory of your FC3 filesystem, or you
can use the slightly-modified one that we supply at:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/netos/xen/downloads/initrd-fc3.img

To specify an initrd file for domain 0 add an extra "module"
line to your GRUB config, after your kernel-module line
(e.g., "module /boot/initrd-2.6.9-xen0.img"). To use an
initrd file for other domains, set the "ramdisk" variable in
your domain configuration file
(e.g., "ramdisk = path/to/initrd-2.6.9-xenU.img").

Hope this helps,
Keir