Mailing List Archive

Creating Aliases in Domains
FYI,

This may be known, but I discovered how to create an alias interface
for a domain. Using the same gateway as the primary nic
doesn't work for a Debian-stable xenU. Using the network number
the bridge IP, or the primary eth0 number seems to work ok:

iface eth0 inet static
address 214.213.44.21
netmask 255.255.255.240
gateway 214.213.44.17

iface eth0:1 inet static
address 214.213.44.22
gateway 214.213.44.21 (or .18 which is the Xen0 ip)
netmask 255.255.255.240

The alias (virtual if) is routing to the bridge.
If you see a better way please share.

-Phil Carinhas
--
.--------------------------------------------------------.
| Dr. Philip A. Carinhas | pac(at)fortuitous.com |

Re: Creating Aliases in Domains - Solution? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:57:03PM -0600, Phil Carinhas wrote:
> FYI,
>
> This may be known, but I discovered how to create an alias interface
> for a domain. Using the same gateway as the primary nic
> doesn't work for a Debian-stable xenU. Using the network number
> the bridge IP, or the primary eth0 number seems to work ok:
>
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 214.213.44.21
> netmask 255.255.255.240
> gateway 214.213.44.17
>
> iface eth0:1 inet static
> address 214.213.44.22
> gateway 214.213.44.21 (or .18 which is the Xen0 ip)
> netmask 255.255.255.240

Sorry to respond to my own posting, but I need to correct something:

The above statements about using the gateway ip in the aliased
interface are plain wrong. You should not have any gateway for
an alias. The alias forms a bridge-like struct with the primary nic.
Having a bridge inside of a bridge can confuse routing.

What I did find is that many of the aliased interfaces would not
be reachable from the outside without first pinging out. I tried
a number of things but I finally turned on STP in the bridging
code. That seemed to help. Now all my aliased interfaces are
reachable without any special provision.

-Phil Carinhas
--