Mailing List Archive

[Xen]Do some stuffs for xen
Hi lists and developers,

Maybe i should not talk about following stuffs here. If true, please
forgive me ;-).

I have subscribed our xen mail lists. And get our relevant
git repos. Actually, i wanna do some stuffs about Xen in GSOC
(Google Summer Of Code) 2012. So i am now searching for a mentor
in our Xen group, who can join GSOC 2012. I have studied some xen
blktap2 stuffs, which we add a new driver named "hlfs" for blktap2/drivers
to support our project 'Cloudxy' (http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy).
I also write some articles for building Xen environment here (sorry,
in Chinese).
(http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/wiki/HowTo_Build_Xen_Env)
If no mentor will do some blktap2 stuffs i will do what the mentor like.
Because my major is Software Engineering at Xi'an University of Posts and
Telecommunications in China. I am now a Junior student who is interested
in Computer Science and Virtualization Technologies. I will do Xen project as
i could. I also did some patches for Linux Kernel
(http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Ftorvalds%2Flinux.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=Harry+Wei).

So i am sure i will also take some patches for Xen (blktap2 or other portions).
I also developed some other projects during my university time. I am
now developing a project named 'Cloudxy' (http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/).
It is about Cloud Calculating. Our ECMS (Elastic Cloud Management System)
is based on Xen Virtualization. I developed some Xen stuffs and HLFS, which is
based on Hadoop Hdfs and Log structured Filesystem(NILFS2 thoughts
in Kernel). I also did other portions about NBD(Network Block Device) driver.

I am familiar with C/C++, Erlang, Bash, Java, etc. And again, if any
developer wants to be a mentor for me in GSOC 2012 abdout Xen project,
feel free to contact me.
I will do a perfect job. Trust me please ;-)

Best wishes to us ;-)

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

Re: [Xen]Do some stuffs for xen [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:13 AM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, harryxiyou wrote:
>> Hi lists and developers,
>>
>> Maybe i should not talk about following stuffs here. If true, please
>> forgive me ;-).
>>
>> Best wishes to us ;-)
>
> Thanks for your enthusiasm :)
>
> We haven't finalized our list of GSoC projects for this year yet, but
> keep an eye on our GSoC page on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas#Key_Google_Pages

Thanks, i have added the 'Possible Student(s)' line for us.

> Regarding your project idea, please provide more details about it:
> considering that the cloudxy webpage is in Chinese I really don't know
> what it is about.

Hi Stefano,

Our project's name is Cloudxy, which is about Cloud Calculating like
Amazon's EC2.
It has two sub-systems, which is ECMS (Elastic Cloud Managesystem System) and
HLFS(Hadoop hdfs and log structured Filesystem). Hlfs is like Amazon's EBS. ECMS
is a scheduling system, which distributes VM and recycles VM.

We have pluged our HLFS to xen's blktap2 as a driver like 'aio',
'vhd'. So we can use xen's
domu as our VM and HLFS as our blktap2 driver.

So i think if we have any mentor wanna to do blktap2's driver
development in GSOC 2012,
which i have done this portions for a long time. I am sure i can
develop this kind of driver
successfully. ;-) If you have some ideas about blktap2 drivers or
something ideas about
xen, feel free to contact me. You will be my mentor ;-)

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

Re: [Xen]Do some stuffs for xen [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, harryxiyou wrote:
>> Hi Stefano,
>>
>> Our project's name is Cloudxy, which is about Cloud Calculating like
>> Amazon's EC2.
>> It has two sub-systems, which is ECMS (Elastic Cloud Managesystem System) and
>> HLFS(Hadoop hdfs and log structured Filesystem). Hlfs is like Amazon's EBS. ECMS
>> is a scheduling system, which distributes VM and recycles VM.
>>
>> We have pluged our HLFS  to xen's blktap2 as a driver like 'aio',
>> 'vhd'. So we can use xen's
>> domu as our VM and HLFS as our blktap2 driver.
>>
>> So i think if we have any mentor wanna to do blktap2's driver
>> development in GSOC 2012,
>> which i have done this portions for a long time. I am sure i can
>> develop this kind of driver
>> successfully. ;-)  If you have some ideas about blktap2 drivers or
>> something ideas about
>> xen, feel free to contact me. You will be my mentor ;-)
>
> I think I understand what this project is about now, thanks for the
> explanation. It might be a good project: please create a new page to the
> wiki with a detailed description of the project
>and then add a new row
> to http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas#Key_Google_Pages, linking to
> the project page you wrote.

Hi Stefano,

I am sorry i can not understand your words clearly. Let me descripe them to you.

You mean we should write a new wiki page on xen's wiki
(http://wiki.xen.org/wiki)
or our main page's wiki (http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/w/list).
Then we should add
a new row to 'New Project Ideas' of
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas, which
has a linking to our new wiki page for descriping our project clearly.
That is to
say our project may join GSOC 2012 as one of the projects under xen
organization. Right ?

Any Comments?

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

Re: [Xen]Do some stuffs for xen [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, harryxiyou wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM, Stefano Stabellini
>> <stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:

>> > I think I understand what this project is about now, thanks for the
>> > explanation. It might be a good project: please create a new page to the
>> > wiki with a detailed description of the project
>> >and then add a new row
>> > to http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas#Key_Google_Pages, linking to
>> > the project page you wrote.
>>
>> Hi Stefano,
>>
>> I am sorry i can not understand your words clearly. Let me descripe them to you.
>>
>> You mean we should write a new wiki page on xen's wiki
>> (http://wiki.xen.org/wiki)
>> or our main page's wiki (http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/w/list).
>> Then we should add
>> a new row to 'New Project Ideas' of
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas, which
>> has a linking to our new wiki page for descriping our project clearly.
>>  That is to
>> say our project may join GSOC 2012 as one of the projects under xen
>> organization. Right ?
>
> That's right.
> We would like details on the project so the small description in
> the table is not enough. If you could write a more detailed description
> on a new page, that would be ideal.

Yeah, that's great! We will write a new wiki page and add a new row to
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas.

Stefano, Much thanks for your help ;-)

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

Re: [Xen]Do some stuffs for xen [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:04 PM, harryxiyou <harryxiyou@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM, Stefano Stabellini
> <stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, harryxiyou wrote:

>>> Hi Stefano,
>>>
>>> I am sorry i can not understand your words clearly. Let me descripe them to you.
>>>
>>> You mean we should write a new wiki page on xen's wiki
>>> (http://wiki.xen.org/wiki)
>>> or our main page's wiki (http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/w/list).
>>> Then we should add
>>> a new row to 'New Project Ideas' of
>>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas, which
>>> has a linking to our new wiki page for descriping our project clearly.
>>>  That is to
>>> say our project may join GSOC 2012 as one of the projects under xen
>>> organization. Right ?
>>
>> That's right.
>> We would like details on the project so the small description in
>> the table is not enough. If you could write a more detailed description
>> on a new page, that would be ideal.
>
> Yeah, that's great! We will write a new wiki page and add a new row to
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas.
>
> Stefano, Much thanks for your help ;-)

Hi Stefano,

We have written a new wiki page here
http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/wiki/WHAT_IS_CLOUDXY
And we add a row to
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas#New_Project_Ideas , which add
our
project idea for xen. Our thoughts also contain the new wiki page's
link. I will also give another new
wiki page in English for describing HLFS for more details (Realize Mechanisms).

Any comments?

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

Re: [Xen]Do some stuffs for xen [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Feb 2012, harryxiyou wrote:
>> Hi Stefano,
>>
>> We have written a new wiki page here
>> http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/wiki/WHAT_IS_CLOUDXY
>> And we add a row to
>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas#New_Project_Ideas , which add
>> our
>> project idea for xen. Our thoughts also contain the new wiki page's
>> link. I will also give another new
>> wiki page in English for describing HLFS for more details (Realize Mechanisms).
>
> The WHAT_IS_CLOUDXY page is OK to describe what Cloudxy is, but neither
> in that page, not in the xen.org GSoC wiki page, there is any detailed
> description of what the google summer of code project you are proposing
> would be trying to accomplish.
> It is clear that the project is about HLFS, and you give a good high
> level decription of HLFS in WHAT_IS_CLOUDXY, but it is not clear exactly
> what you'll do about it during GSoC.

Yup, much thanks for reminding us of this mistake. I have added the task
we will do for GSOC 2012 in the xen.org GSOC wiki page. Cloud you please
have a look(http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas#New_Project_Ideas) ;-).
I will also give another new wiki page in English for describing HLFS
for more details
(Realize Mechanisms) in this weekend.

Stefano, feel free to give other suggestions about my updating information.
we are very pleased to receive your help ;-)

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

Re: [Xen]Do some stuffs for xen [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:17 PM, harryxiyou <harryxiyou@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Stefano Stabellini
> <stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2012, harryxiyou wrote:
>>> Hi Stefano,
>>>
>>> We have written a new wiki page here
>>> http://code.google.com/p/cloudxy/wiki/WHAT_IS_CLOUDXY
>>> And we add a row to
>>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas#New_Project_Ideas , which add
>>> our
>>> project idea for xen. Our thoughts also contain the new wiki page's
>>> link. I will also give another new
>>> wiki page in English for describing HLFS for more details (Realize Mechanisms).
>>
>> The WHAT_IS_CLOUDXY page is OK to describe what Cloudxy is, but neither
>> in that page, not in the xen.org GSoC wiki page, there is any detailed
>> description of what the google summer of code project you are proposing
>> would be trying to accomplish.
>> It is clear that the project is about HLFS, and you give a good high
>> level decription of HLFS in WHAT_IS_CLOUDXY, but it is not clear exactly
>> what you'll do about it during GSoC.
>
> Yup, much thanks for reminding us of this mistake. I have added the task
> we will do for GSOC 2012 in the xen.org GSOC wiki page. Cloud you please
> have a look(http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas#New_Project_Ideas) ;-).
> I will also give another new wiki page in English for describing HLFS
> for more details
> (Realize Mechanisms) in this weekend.
>
> Stefano, feel free to give other suggestions about my updating information.
> we are very pleased to receive your help ;-)

And now mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google.
Our project is full of enthusiasms to join GSOC 2012 as a project
under org xen.org.
Anyway, we hope xen.org can interest our project. And if you have any
question or
request about our project, you cloud feel free to ask us to do. We
will very happy to
try our best to join GSOC 2012 as a project under org xen.org.

Stefano, thanks for your help ;-)

--
Thanks
Harry Wei

Re: [Xen]Do some stuffs for xen [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Stefano Stabellini
<stefano.stabellini@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012, harryxiyou wrote:
>> > Yup, much thanks for reminding us of this mistake. I have added the task
>> > we will do for GSOC 2012 in the xen.org GSOC wiki page. Cloud you please
>> > have a look(http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/GSoC_2012_Ideas#New_Project_Ideas) ;-).
>> > I will also give another new wiki page in English for describing HLFS
>> > for more details
>> > (Realize Mechanisms) in this weekend.
>> >
>> > Stefano, feel free to give other suggestions about my updating information.
>> > we are very pleased to receive your help ;-)
>
> It's better now, thanks.

Okay, thanks.

>> And now mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google.
>> Our project is full of enthusiasms to join GSOC 2012 as a project
>> under org xen.org.
>> Anyway, we hope xen.org can interest our project. And if you have any
>> question or
>> request about our project, you cloud feel free to ask us to do. We
>> will very happy to
>> try our best to join GSOC 2012 as a project under org xen.org.
>>
>> Stefano, thanks for your help ;-)
>
> No problem, we'll certainly take you and your project into
> consideration.

Thanks very much ;-) We will be waiting for your good news.
Best wishes to us.

--
Thanks
Harry Wei