It is obvious that is based on Xen. If I download XenServer source and
check xen rpm package version there is e.g.: xen-4.1.1-6.0.0.210.23215. Is
it fully compatible with xen 4.1.1 or they introduce some variations to
make it possible to run in "Cloud" enviroment?

In general,I would like to know how the realtions between Xen, XenServer,
XCP and CentOS look.

--
Kamil
Re: XCP, XenServer and CentOS dependences [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Both XenServer and XCP are "RHEL" compatible so to speak and are based
off of the CentOS community distribution as you pointed out.
You can think of them as virtualization appliances, whereas Xen is
just a hypervisor - in and of itself it doesn't provide enough
funcationality for a fully working system.
For that you require a fully configured dom0, storage and networking
subsystems - this is the point of XenServer and XCP.

In reality XCP can be likened to being an open-source version of
XenServer, they share the xe toolstack, XAPI and use the same storage
and network resource abstractions.
This isn't strictly required to operate in a "cloud" environment but
they sure make things easier.
One of the primary subsystems in a distributed virtual environment is
messaging and resource abstraction, XCP can handle this for you.

Conversely Xen on CentOS uses the xm/xend toolstack and leverages
distribution scripts to deal with varying amounts of network and
storage tasks - however the majority is left up to the adminstrator
and requires significantly more configuration to arrive at usable
system.

Joseph.

2012/2/16 Kamil Gardziejczyk <belussi.pl@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> For few last days, I`ve been trying to install and configure XenServer and
> XCP. Everythings works fine,but  I wonder how the XenServer or XCP is
> bulit..
>

> It is based on CentOS? There is some special agreement between Xen community
> (or Citrix) and CentOS community?
> It is obvious that is based on Xen. If I download XenServer source and check
> xen rpm package version there is e.g.: xen-4.1.1-6.0.0.210.23215. Is it
> fully compatible with xen 4.1.1 or they  introduce some variations to make
> it possible to run in "Cloud" enviroment?
>
> In general,I would like to know how the realtions between Xen, XenServer,
> XCP and CentOS look.
>
> --
> Kamil

Founder | Director | VP Research
Orion Virtualisation Solutions | www.orionvm.com.au | Phone: 1300 56
99 52 | Mobile: 0428 754 846

Re: XCP, XenServer and CentOS dependences [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Joseph Glanville
<joseph.glanville@orionvm.com.au> wrote:
> Conversely Xen on CentOS uses the xm/xend toolstack

The xcp-api toolstack has been ported to Ubuntu/Debian and the process
of porting it to Fedora and CentOS has already begun.

See:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Project_Kronos
http://wiki.xensource.com/wiki/Project_Zeus_Fedora_Spec

Xen-users is also probably a better place for this discussion since
more people are subscribed.

HTH.

Cheers,
Todd