Please help me to solve the problem.

Thanks
Ramesh
Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
try to use fallback or safe option in boot menu (it shown as dark blue
on black before boot) to see what happens.

My guess: using an external drive is simply not supported.

Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
I didn't get a boot menu either. I got a boot prompt (CLI) with the test "Boot:". I tried 'help', 'verbose' and lot more, but unfortunately nothing worked. Could you please explain a bit how to turn on the verbose mode or safe mode turn on?

Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
Yes, and here you shall print noted below commands.

Do you expect nice menu with helpers? Use hyper-v and be microsoft's slave.

Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your quick response.
I believe I haven't made my point clear.

* I am not getting a menu at boot time (no choices)
* what ever I typed there on the prompt, it says kernel not found or invalid kernel.

I am pretty confused how to activate the safe option.

Also, I tried to load the kernel by typing the following,

/boot/xen.gz

and, it shows me an error like 'Kernel Corrupted"

I also started believing external drive may not be supported.

Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
I figured out something, that fallback worked for me and I found the problem is a 'Kernel Panic'
see the errors below

switchroot : mount failed: No such file or directory
Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

I think boot from external drive is not supported. I there any solution for this like loading a driver or something...

Thanks George Shuklin for your help, and much appreciated...

Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
If 'safe' does not work, that means installation went wrong. Boot from
other media and check content of /boot. And try to install not to
USB/eSATA drive but to normal SATA/SAS/ATA drive.

Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
OK, we got very clear answer: do not install on removable drives.
Simple, isn't it?

Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
Thanks much..
I am going to dig more about this, and will let you know the progress..
As of now, I am following the link
http://virtualizationreview.com/articles/2008/05/09/installing-and-running-xenserver-41-on-an-external-usb-drive.aspx

I am really glad to say that XCP is up and running from an external drive.

Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
Now I am facing another issue with the realtek network card. Instead of r8168 driver, linux automatically detects r8169 driver.

Please help me if anybody solved this issue.

I have seen a lot of threads discussing the same issue when searched in google. Also, I managed to download and copy the source of the driver 8168 to the machine, but was not able to make it as build-essentials are missing (I am not having an internet connection to the machine as my lan is not working).

Re: Requesting help [ In reply to ]
After a lot of search and experiments, I solved the problem.

I have added the following line to the file /etc/modprobe.conf

options r8169 use_dac=1