Mailing List Archive

Xen Wiki Translation Problem (Was Re: [Xen-API] New Xen.org Community Manager)
On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM, George Shuklin
<george.shuklin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good day.
>
> Well, about Russian translation for wiki I can say one thing: better
> English than that Russian (I think anyway English is essential to read
> xen documentation - to be priestly - fragments of documentation, so we
> can freely throw away wiki translation).
>
> Some samples of incorrect russian translation:
>
> Attachment translated as 'ÐÒÉÌÏÖÅÎÉÑ' (reverse translation is
> 'application') instead '×ÌÏÖÅÎÉÑ' (something that put inside, attached).
>
> In attachment list first action named as '×ÚÑÔØ' (I can even image what
> it was in original), from russian it translate as 'take away'.
>
> 'Clear cache' translated as 'ÕÂÒÁÔØ ÉÚ ËÅÛÁ' (take way from cache).
>
> Lexically incorrect phrase 'þÔÏÂÙ ÓÏÚÄÁÔØ ÐÏÌØÚÏ×ÁÔÅÌÑ ÉÌÉ ×ÏÓÓÔÁÎÏ×ÉÔØ
> ÐÁÒÏÌØ ÓÌÕÖÉÔ ÓÔÒÁÎÉÃÁ' (word translated correctly but put together in
> strange form and order).
>
> One more: almost half of text is non-translated, so i looks something
> like this sometimes: If want to re-login, just use ðÏÌÎÏÅ ÉÍÑ and ðÁÒÏÌØ
> and click on ÷ÏÊÔÉ.
>
> So, I think there is no need for interface localization (many efforts
> with little payback) and it can be (at least, for Russian) simply left
> English, this will be much easily compare to samples above.

Where is this happening?

Can you send me a link to some examples of the problem?

Also, what do you suggest as the fix?

Thanks,
Todd

Re: Xen Wiki Translation Problem (Was Re: [Xen-API] New Xen.org Community Manager) [ In reply to ]
В Втр, 21/12/2010 в 22:17 -0500, Todd Deshane пишет:

> > One more: almost half of text is non-translated, so i looks something
> > like this sometimes: If want to re-login, just use Полное имя and Пароль
> > and click on Войти.
> >
> > So, I think there is no need for interface localization (many efforts
> > with little payback) and it can be (at least, for Russian) simply left
> > English, this will be much easily compare to samples above.
>
> Where is this happening?
>
> Can you send me a link to some examples of the problem?
>
> Also, what do you suggest as the fix?
I'm talking about wiki.xensource.com (as I understand, moinmoin select
language automatically, based on browser preferred language).

My suggestion is stop playing internationalization and use English
interface (remove Russian from available localization).

---
wBR, George Shuklin.