Mailing List Archive

Re: [Xen-devel] [cros-discuss] Boot in Hyp mode on Samsung ARM Chromebook
> On 04/14/2013 03:23 AM, Anthony PERARD wrote:

>>> don't look too much (or at all) at the default value. it's a
>>> historical artifact and we don't use it at all.
>>
>> Exactly!
>>
>> Under Xen, the command line given to dom0 is in the dts. Xen will look
>> for "xen,dom0-bootargs" in the node "chosen".
>> The dts: arch/arm/boot/dts/cros5250-common.dtsi
>> Thanks Mike & Anthony!
>
> I changed the xen,dom0-bootargs to "console=hvc0,115200n8 console=tty1
> debug root=/dev/mmcblk1p3 rw rootwait init=/bin/bash" in
> arch/arm/boot/dts/cros5250-common.dtsi, and print the bootargs in
> function write_properties in xen/arch/arm/domain_build.c:127. Then I
> recompiled the dts & xen, 'dd' the image signed and bundled with dom0 &
> dtb to the boot partition and see whether we have passed the "right"
> bootargs to dom0. After rebooting and checking the log in
> dmesg-ramoops-0, I did read the line printed "console=hvc0,115200n8
> console=tty1 debug root=/dev/mmcblk1p3 rw rootwait init=/bin/bash".
> However, everything stays the same as before.
Hello guys,

I'm trying to reproduce on my Chromebook the environment described by Anthony and already reproduced by Chen. Unfortunately I don't get any message to dmesg-ramoops after reboot :(

My cross compile environment works, I'm able to recompile a fresh Linux kernel and the 3.4 kernel boots without problems. Then I followed _exacly_ what reported by Anthony on the wiki: I cloned the linux-chromebook kernel repo, the xen-arm repo, switched to chromebook-2013-03-22. The dtsi is correct, image is signed, dd to the usual partition etc etc. After reboot I don't see anything on the display and this is expected: unfortunately after rebooting into either linux or chromeos I don't see logs saved in dmesg-ramoops. I also tried the patches to the kernel .config by Chen but with no success.

I'm wondering if the hardware could have been changed in the meanwhile: Chen, would you mind please post somewhere the unsigned image that you used to get those interesting dmesg-ramoops messages? so that I can try to see after reboot if I'm getting something similar in /dev/pstore ?

My plan is to solder a serial cable to the motherboard uart that was recently discovered and begin debugging but I would like to start exactly from the point you already are.

Many thanks,
-Francesco