Mailing List Archive

Profiling tools for ARM64
HI Everyone

My name is diego. I'm very interesting in extend the XenOprof to ARM64
based architectures, and also integrate some tools for hypervisor and
application profiling and performance evaluation.

I read the documentation for Oprofile a perf which is in the wiki page and
I noticed that XEN doesn't support ARM64 architectures. For this reason I
have two ideas.

1. Add support for ARM64 architectures to XenOprof in its current
implementation.

2. I found an interesting library called libpfm4 which also work with
perf_event, and support ARM64 and ARM32 architectures. Well I can tray to
use this library in order to profile DOM0 and DOMU-VP guest.

Personally I prefer the option 2 since the library currently works in
normal linux OS and I guest could be easy to replicate it on XEN.

Approaches:

- (hypercalls) from DOM0-DOMU to xen
- (direct pass through from DOM0 to PMU counters), and VPMU in DOMU .

Here my questions?

- *I would like to know if currently DOM0 and DOMU have support to
perf_event i.e., they can read directly performance monitoring unit (PMU)
counters, only DOM0 or none of them?*
- *should I implement some traps in XEN hypervisor ?*
- *some one currently is working on this?*
- *Which is the most **efficient** way to implement it ?*
- *There is a guide line to do this easily?*

chears
--
Diego Alejandro Parra Guzmán
Estudiante de ingeniería electrónica