Mailing List Archive

2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu)
Hi all,

I was just informed that it is not going to be possible to hold the Developer Summit alongside LinuxCon in Berlin, unless we make some hard choices. I had originally had booked the space and all looked fine when it was originally arranged several months ago. Seems that the LinuxCon organisers tripped over a German holiday and had not accounted for it. I would like to get your input before the next board meeting in 10 days, such that I have community input for the meeting and I can make a swift decision at the meeting.

We have the following options
* Hold it on Monday Oct 3 - to Tue Oct 4 : the problem is that Oct 3 is a public holiday in Germany, which would affect German participants
* Do a 1 day event only on Oct 4 : I don't think this is practicable
* Hold the event alongside LinuxCon in Toronto in August, but then we'd have a Dev Summit in the US for 3 years in a row. On the plus side, it will be Linux' 25th birthday

Other options, such as holding the event on its own will be too expensive. Please let me know your opinions.

Best Regards
Lars

Re: [Xen-devel] 2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 06:31:22PM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just informed that it is not going to be possible to hold the Developer Summit alongside LinuxCon in Berlin, unless we make some hard choices. I had originally had booked the space and all looked fine when it was originally arranged several months ago. Seems that the LinuxCon organisers tripped over a German holiday and had not accounted for it. I would like to get your input before the next board meeting in 10 days, such that I have community input for the meeting and I can make a swift decision at the meeting.
>
> We have the following options
> * Hold it on Monday Oct 3 - to Tue Oct 4 : the problem is that Oct 3 is a public holiday in Germany, which would affect German participants

-1
> * Do a 1 day event only on Oct 4 : I don't think this is practicable

-1
> * Hold the event alongside LinuxCon in Toronto in August, but then we'd have a Dev Summit in the US for 3 years in a row. On the plus side, it will be Linux' 25th birthday

+1

Re: [win-pv-devel] 2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu) [ In reply to ]

I think some Canadians might get offended at that! ;-)

s/US/North America

> On the plus side, it will be
> Linux' 25th birthday
>
> Other options, such as holding the event on its own will be too expensive.
> Please let me know your opinions.

I think Toronto would be fine.

Paul

Re: [Xen-devel] 2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 5 Nov 2015, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just informed that it is not going to be possible to hold the Developer Summit alongside LinuxCon in Berlin, unless we make some hard choices. I had originally had booked the space and all looked fine when it was originally arranged several months ago. Seems that the LinuxCon organisers tripped over a German holiday and had not accounted for it. I would like to get your input before the next board meeting in 10 days, such that I have community input for the meeting and I can make a swift decision at the meeting.
>
> We have the following options
> * Hold it on Monday Oct 3 - to Tue Oct 4 : the problem is that Oct 3 is a public holiday in Germany, which would affect German participants
> * Do a 1 day event only on Oct 4 : I don't think this is practicable
> * Hold the event alongside LinuxCon in Toronto in August, but then we'd have a Dev Summit in the US for 3 years in a row. On the plus side, it will be Linux' 25th birthday

I really enjoyed the celebrations for Linux' 20th birthday in Vancouver,
so I vote for Toronto :-)

Re: [Xen-devel] 2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu) [ In reply to ]
On 05/11/15 18:31, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have the following options * Hold it on Monday Oct 3 - to Tue Oct
> 4 : the problem is that Oct 3 is a public holiday in Germany, which
> would affect German participants

The email from Angela below says there's no rooms available on the Tues

"we don't have any extra rooms that fit over 50ppl available on
Tuesday & Wednesday"

Does this not exclude XenSummit on the Mon-Tue?

> * Do a 1 day event only on Oct 4 : I don't think this is practicable

See above re rooms on Tuesday.

David

Re: [win-pv-devel] 2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu) [ In reply to ]
> On 6 Nov 2015, at 11:24, Paul Durrant <Paul.Durrant@citrix.com> wrote:
>>
>> We have the following options
>> * Hold it on Monday Oct 3 - to Tue Oct 4 : the problem is that Oct 3 is a public
>> holiday in Germany, which would affect German participants
>> * Do a 1 day event only on Oct 4 : I don't think this is practicable
>> * Hold the event alongside LinuxCon in Toronto in August, but then we'd
>> have a Dev Summit in the US for 3 years in a row.
>
> I think some Canadians might get offended at that! ;-)
>
> s/US/North America

Apologies to any Canadians: that's of course what I meant. Shouldn't write e-mails late at night after a beer
Lars
Re: [Xen-devel] 2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu) [ In reply to ]
> On 6 Nov 2015, at 11:44, David Vrabel <david.vrabel@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> On 05/11/15 18:31, Lars Kurth wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We have the following options * Hold it on Monday Oct 3 - to Tue Oct
>> 4 : the problem is that Oct 3 is a public holiday in Germany, which
>> would affect German participants
>
> The email from Angela below says there's no rooms available on the Tues
>
> "we don't have any extra rooms that fit over 50ppl available on
> Tuesday & Wednesday"
>
> Does this not exclude XenSummit on the Mon-Tue?

Oh yes, you are correct. Well spotted. Apologies.

So we absolutely no easy option but to go for Toronto, unless
- We can find two smaller rooms on Tuesday Oct 4th, which I can investigate
- Or to start the summit on the Sunday Oct 2nd and run it through Monday Oct 3rd, which I can investigate

So really, it seems that Toronto is really the most viable option. And it seems that a majority for Toronto is emerging regardless

Lars
Re: [Xen-devel] 2016 Xen Dev Summit Location (input needed before next Thu) [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2015-11-06 at 12:48 +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:

> So we absolutely no easy option but to go for Toronto, unless
> - We can find two smaller rooms on Tuesday Oct 4th, which I can
> investigate
> - Or to start the summit on the Sunday Oct 2nd and run it through
> Monday Oct 3rd, which I can investigate

So, that would mean holding the event during a Sunday and a local
holiday... I don't think this is that good, for the event itself.

So, even if the above (Oct 2-3, Berlin), would make things a lot easier
for me to attend, I vote for Toronto, as it looks much much more likely
that the event would be successful in that case.

Regards,
Dario