Mailing List Archive

Transfer VM expose issues
Hi,

I've been writing a script to automatically back up just the first disk
associated with each running VM on a vhost - the rationale being that in
most cases the second disk of a VM is usually backed up in some other
manner, and we only really need a snapshot of the OS disk for disaster
recovery purposes.

It works fine on XenServer 6.2, by calling the host plugin transfervm and
then exposing a recently snapshotted VDI on the network. However, since
upgrading to version 6.5 calling the expose method of the transfer plugin
fails.

It creates a transfervm fine, but then sits there for 120 seconds and
returns a XENAPI_PLUGIN_FAILURE, saying the VM started but did not respond.
I can see the VM come online in xentop and it has a network interface
assigned to it.

I've done some digging and have found that some people are having issues
with network interfaces, on both linux and windows virtual machines, on
this latest release. I was wondering if this was a potentially known issue
- I know that the transfervm template is a busybox based image, is it
possible that some change in the virtual interfaces has messed with its
ability to use the vif?

Apologies if this makes no sense, or if it is a solved issue - as I say
I've done some digging but not found anyone having similar issues. If
anyone can help shed some light on this, thanks in advance!

Cheers
Jon

--
Jon Marshall
*Workshop IT*

5 Cowcross Street
London EC1M 6DW
020 7183 0498
www.workshopit.co.uk
Registered in England and Wales: 8366747