interactive only when clicked on. This makes them potential candidates for
being displayed as article images in article without a photo.

I would like to find out how complicated it would technically be to make
the article image extension also capable of using map images? I know this
is probably nowhere on the roadmap, I'm only interested in the technical
part of the idea.

Thanks,
Strainu
Re: Maps as article image? [ In reply to ]
Phabricator is a better place for discussing feature requests. That said, I
imagine the complicated part would be how the extension determines when to
pick the map over other images in the article. Adding some hook to
PageImage by which other extensions can add page images candidates seems
straightforward, but the way PageImage selects between candidates is messy
and exposing it in a hook might not be the best idea.