Mailing List Archive

Congratulations to accepted candidates for Google Summer of Code 2023 & Outreachy Round 26
Hello folks,

Please join us in welcoming Wikimedia's accepted candidates for Google
Summer of Code 2023 [1] and Outreachy Round 26 [2]!

**Google Summer of Code 2023**

1. Ahmed Amine Hassou, Morocco, Wiki Education Dashboard: Refactoring
and upgrading React <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T332976>
Mentors: Sage Ross

2. Chenhao Liu, United States of America, Wiki farm support for Canasta <
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T333773>
Mentors: Yaron Koren, Jeffrey Wang

3. Nikhil Mahajan, India, End-to-end test coverage for Abstract
Wikipedia's Wikifunctions <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T333498>
Mentors: Stef Dunlap, James Forrester, Cory Massaro, Denny Vrande?i?

4. Zexi Gong, China, Wikidocumentaries to import images from the web to
Structured Data on Commons <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T332671>
Mentors: TuukkaH, Susannaanas

5. Shashwat Khanna, India, Improve Programs & Events Dashboard UX for
Article Scoped Programs <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T332932>
Mentors: Sage Ross

6. Saurabh Jamadagni, India, Adding a menu to Scribe-iOS application
and expanding keyboard languages <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T333156>
Mentors: Andrew McAllister

7. Ritika Pahwa, India, Commons Android app: Make upload more reliable <
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T332126>
Mentors: Nicolas Raoul, Kaartic Sivaraam

8. Punith Nayak, India, Improve the functionality of VideoCutTool - New
features <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T330465>
Mentors: Gopa Vasanth, Sohom Datta

9. Varun Shrivastava, India, Improve the functionality of VideoCutTool
- Code Quality/Code Health <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T333466>
Mentors: Gopa Vasanth, Sohom Datta

**Outreachy Round 26**

1. Nathaly Toledo, Venezuela, Research imbalances in translation
between languages on Wikipedia <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T333792>
Mentors: Adam Wight, Kavitha A, Simulo

2. Abhishek Bhardwaj, India, Research imbalances in translation between
languages on Wikipedia <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T333097>
Mentors: Adam Wight, Kavitha A, Simulo

3. Sulagna Saha, Bangladesh, Write a Ruby gem for analyzing Wikidata
edits <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T333790>
Mentors: Sage Ross, Will Kent

We would like to encourage accepted candidates to introduce themselves on
this thread and give a brief overview of the project they will be working
on.

We’re so proud of the contributions they have made so far to our community,
and we look forward to having a wonderful time working with them over the
summer. Also, a huge shout-out to the project mentors for their enthusiasm
and commitment!

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2023
[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round_26

Regards,
GSoC / Outreachy Wikimedia organization administrators (Gopa, Sohom,
Srishti)
Re: Congratulations to accepted candidates for Google Summer of Code 2023 & Outreachy Round 26 [ In reply to ]
Congratulations and welcome, looking forward to seeing you guys around in
Wikimedia :)
Regards,
Sohom Datta
---
Open-source contributor @Wikimedia

Re: Congratulations to accepted candidates for Google Summer of Code 2023 & Outreachy Round 26 [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone ????

I am Shashwat and I'm currently pursuing an undergrad degree in Computer
Science. You may remember me from last year - I had participated in GSoC
2022 as well and my project was about improving the JavaScript tooling of
WikiEduDashboard.

As you might've guessed, that project was mostly relevant to developers and
users of the Dashboard probably won't have noticed any changes. This year,
I'm still working on the Dashboard but on a more user side project. My
project is about improving/designing the UI for adding and editing the
various scoping methods supported by the Dashboard to make more instructors
aware of these features. It'll involve a bit of designing, some user
research, and a lot of prototyping.

I had a lot of fun last year and can't wait to meet everyone again.

Thanks and congratulations to the rest of the interns.

Shashwat

Re: Congratulations to accepted candidates for Google Summer of Code 2023 & Outreachy Round 26 [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone,

Congratulations to all the fellow GSoC participants and Outreachy interns!
I am Ritika Pahwa, a GSoC participant from India. I am currently pursuing
my B. Tech in Computer Science and Engineering from Indira Gandhi Delhi
Technical University for Women. I will be contributing to the Commons app
this summer by working towards upload reliability. My task is to fix
upload- related issues and deal with metadata loss.I have often experienced
upload-related issues myself and would like to fix them so that all the
Commons lovers get a seamless experience with the app :)

I am excited to begin my GSoC journey with Wikimedia and look forward to a
great learning experience this summer. Grateful to be a part of such a
helpful and friendly community!

Regards,
Ritika Pahwa