Mailing List Archive

Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing!
Hello everyone,

TLDR; Wikimedia will soon be applying as a mentoring organization to *Google
Summer of Code 2023* <
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2023> [1] and *Outreachy
Round 26* <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round_26> [2]. We are
currently working on a list of interesting project ideas to include in the
application. If you have some ideas for *coding or non-coding (design,
documentation, translation, outreach, research) projects*, share them by*
February 7th* here: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T326991> [3]. For
non-coding projects that can be promoted via Outreachy, there are only two
available slots, which will be allocated to mentors on a first-come,
first-serve basis.

*Timeline*
As a mentor, you will engage potential candidates in the application period
for both programs between March and April. You will help candidates make
small contributions to your project and answer any project-related queries
during this time. You will work more closely with the accepted candidates
during the coding period between May and August.

*Tips for proposing projects*
* Follow this task description template when you propose a project in
Phabricator: <
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/outreach-programs-projects> [4]. You
can also use this workboard to pick an idea if you don't have one already.
Add #Google- Summer-of-Code (2023) or #Outreachy (Round 26) tag.
* Project should require an experienced developer ~15 days and a newcomer
~3 months to complete.
* Each project should have at least two mentors, including one with a
technical background.
* Ideally, the project has no tight deadlines, a moderate learning curve,
and fewer dependencies on Wikimedia's core infrastructure. Projects
addressing the needs of a language community are most welcome.

Learn more about the roles and responsibilities of mentors on
MediaWiki.org: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Mentors> [5], <
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/Mentors> [6].

Cheers,
Srishti

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2023

[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round_26

[4] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/outreach-programs-projects/

[5] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Mentors

[6] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/Mentors

*Srishti Sethi*
Senior Developer Advocate
Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Thank you Srishti for organizing this!

As every year, the Commons Android App team is happy to mentor one project.
This year's project:

== Make upload more reliable ==

Built with Java and Kotlin, this Android app allows contributors to upload pictures they have taken with their phone/tablet. Unfortunately, upload often fails, and sometimes loses some metadata.

The goal of this project is to fix these bugs.

Our team mostly uses GitHub and chat for code collaboration. Mentors: Syced, Kaartic (maintainer of the app).

Details:
https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/issues/5129
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T327367
Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Dear Wikimedia Community,

We are excited to announce our participation in the upcoming Google Summer
of Code 2023. Our project proposal, "Improving the Functionality of
VideoCutTool <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T327582>" Our goal is to
address current bugs and enhance the tool's features, including ensuring
persistence of edited videos even after refresh and enhancing the user
experience. You are welcome to propose new ideas or feature requests on the
same phabricator ticket <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T327582>.

Our project is hosted on the Gerrit repository:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/admin/repos/labs/tools/VideoCutTool For any
questions or concerns, please reach out to us on the VideoCutTool
communications channel over Zulip
https://wikimedia.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/275007-VideoCutTool. The
project board can be found at:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/4054/

We look forward to contributing to the Wikimedia community through this
exciting opportunity.

Best regards,
Soham and Vasanth Gopa

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 7:27 AM <nicolas.roule@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Srishti for organizing this!
>
> As every year, the Commons Android App team is happy to mentor one project.
> This year's project:
>
> == Make upload more reliable ==
>
> Built with Java and Kotlin, this Android app allows contributors to upload
> pictures they have taken with their phone/tablet. Unfortunately, upload
> often fails, and sometimes loses some metadata.
>
> The goal of this project is to fix these bugs.
>
> Our team mostly uses GitHub and chat for code collaboration. Mentors:
> Syced, Kaartic (maintainer of the app).
>
> Details:
> https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/issues/5129
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T327367

Gopa Vasanth <https://gopavasanth.github.io/>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/gopavasanth1999> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/gopa-vasanth/> | GitHub
<https://github.com/gopavasanth> | Gerrit
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/gopavasanth>

“Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.”
Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Thanks for organizing, Srishti!

Scribe-iOS would also like to mentor a project for this round of GSoC :) Scribe is an open-source, Wikidata powered application that provides keyboards for second language learners. We use Wikidata's lexicographical data to help language learners remember difficult grammar such as noun genders, verb conjugations and translations directly within the keyboard. The project pages on GitHub are the following:

iOS: https://github.com/scribe-org/Scribe-iOS
Data: https://github.com/scribe-org/Scribe-Data
Android (WIP): https://github.com/scribe-org/Scribe-Android

Our project proposal is "Adding a Menu and Keyboards to Scribe-iOS" (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T328342). We're in the midst really taking Scribe-iOS to a professional level, and for that we need to overhaul how the app interface works and add options for the user to customize their experience. The prototypes for this new experience [1] are already done, so the focus of this part of the project would be an implementation in Swift. Once that's finished we'll also work to add more keyboards to Scribe based on languages that have the most available lexicographical data (languages we're considering so far can be found in [2]). This would allow participants to learn more about Wikidata Query Service, using Python to interface with Wikidata, Python data formatting and again Swift for adding the new keyboards into the app.

I would be the main and technical mentor for this project, but beyond that would include other members of the development and design team :) Getting this done would put the iOS app on strong footing and allow us to focus on Android going forward :D

Regards to all!
Andrew McAllister

https://github.com/andrewtavis
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:AndrewTavis

[1] https://www.figma.com/file/c8945w2iyoPYVhsqW7vRn6/scribe_public_designs?node-id=405%3A393&t=AAIvuS1RerDNtTtr
[2] https://github.com/scribe-org/Scribe-iOS/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22new+keyboard%22
Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Respected Mam
I did liked to know, how students can get mentors if they want to
participate in GSOC 2023 and contribute for Wikimedia
Regards,
Avez Qureshi

Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
@Avez Please join the chat here for a further discussion on your question
https://wikimedia.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/365030-gsoc23-outreachy26.

*Srishti Sethi*
Senior Developer Advocate

Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Abstract Wikipedia is also interested in mentoring someone in this next run
in GSoC. Our project is, "end-to-end test coverage for Abstract Wikipedia's
Wikifuntions"[1].

Abstract Wikipedia <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Abstract_Wikipedia> is
an idea that people can create and maintain Wikipedia articles in a
language-independent way. A particular language Wikipedia can translate
this language-independent article into its language. Code does the
translation. This code will be run on Wikifunctions.

Wikifunctions <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WikiLambda> is a
new Wikimedia project that allows anyone to create and maintain code. This
is useful in many different ways. It provides a catalog of all kinds of
functions that anyone can call, write, maintain, and use.

When Wikifunctions launches, the team wants the core features to be covered
by end-to-end tests that can be run against any patch review. We are
leveraging existing selenium tools and patterns to write the tests, and a
novel GitLab Kubernetes based CI pattern that integrates with Gerrit
(MediaWiki's legacy git version control server).

The aim of this GSoC project will be to write e2e (end-to-end) tests using
Selenium <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Selenium> and integrate them into
the Wikifunction pipeline. A stretch goal of this project working on
"production-izing" pipeline itself, and documenting the pattern for other
teams to evaluate and implement.

The technology stack will be mostly Javascript and Selenium, with a
possibility of getting into Rust, Gitlab CI, and Kubernetes. I would be the
primary mentor, with co-mentorship from Cory Massaro, Jame Forrester,
and Denny Vrande?i?.

[1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T328587

--
*Stef Dunlap* (she/her)
Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
There are a couple projects related to Wiki Education Dashboard / Programs
& Events Dashboard that I'm hoping to mentor for. It's a web application
built with Ruby on Rails and React.js, and it tracks participation in
things like classroom editing projects and editathons.

For Outreachy, the project is to build a Ruby gem for fetching and parsing
Wikidata diffs, so that it's easy to determine what changed — how many
statements or references were added, etc — in a given edit. Once the
Outreachy projects on Phabricator go public, you can find it here:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T328389

For GSoC, the project I've listed is to improve the user experience for
setting up a new event on Programs & Events Dashboard when the event
organizer only wants to track contributions to a specific set of articles.
You can find the more detailed description here:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T328698

(We're also open to student-proposed projects for the Dashboard, and I've
mentored for several such projects in the past.)

If you're interested in exploring the project and/or chatting about it, you
can request an invite to our Slack channel by sending me an email (
sage@wikiedu.org).

Sage Ross (he/him)
User:Ragesoss / User:Sage (Wiki Ed)

Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Hello all,

We are excited to join this round of GSoC with this Wikidocumentaries
proposal!

Wikidocumentaries <https://wikidocumentaries-demo.wmcloud.org/> is a
website that provides a language-independent way of browsing Wikimedia
projects based on Wikidata items. It displays media from external
repositories and integrates them as part of the pages. The idea is to allow
the users to find relevant open content and contribute it to the Wikimedia
projects by using the content for their purposes.

So far, Wikidocumentaries has not been enabled for contributions to
Wikimedia projects. The goal of the GSoC project is to establish the entire
workflow for retrieving media related to the currently viewed topic in
Wikidocumentaries from a given media repository, displaying it in
Wikidocumentaries and uploading it to Wikimedia Commons, adding structured
data statements to it.

When this workflow has been completed, it will be possible to make
available further features for matching, enriching or organizing the data.
It is possible to expand the work to these areas, based on the interests of
the intern.

Tech: The UI code is created with Vue, and the API code is JavaScript. The
work focuses on Structured Data on Commons, therefore understanding of the
MediaWiki API, Wikidata and Structured Data on Commons is needed.

-

Mentors: TuukkaH, Susannaanas
-

Codebase: GitHub <https://github.com/Wikidocumentaries>
-

Phabricator: Ticket <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T329023>, Project
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikidocumentaries/>, Microtasks
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T329256>
-

Documentation website
<https://wikidocumentaries.wmcloud.org/wiki/Main_Page>

Looking forward to working together!

Susanna and Tuukka
AvoinGLAM
Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Hi. I am reposting the Wikidocumentaries proposal as I somehow managed to
send it to a separate thread, so here we go!

Thank you for the opportunity, we are excited to join this round of GSoC
with this Wikidocumentaries proposal!

Wikidocumentaries[1] is a website that provides a language-independent way
of browsing Wikimedia projects based on Wikidata items. It displays media
from external repositories and integrates them as part of the pages. The
idea is to allow the users to find relevant open content and contribute it
to the Wikimedia projects by using the content for their purposes.

So far, Wikidocumentaries has not been enabled for contributions to
Wikimedia projects. The goal of the GSoC project is to establish the entire
process for retrieving media from a given media repository related to the
currently viewed topic in Wikidocumentaries, displaying it in
Wikidocumentaries and uploading it to Wikimedia Commons, adding structured
data statements to it.

When this workflow has been completed, it will be possible to make
available further features to match, enrich or organize the data. It is
possible to expand the work to these areas, based on the interests of the
intern.

Tech: The UI code is created with Vue, and the API code is JavaScript. The
work focuses on Structured Data on Commons, therefore understanding of the
MediaWiki API, Wikidata and Structured Data on Commons is needed.

* Mentors: TuukkaH, Susannaanas
* Codebase: GitHub[2]
* Phabricator: Ticket[3], Project[4], Microtasks[5]
* Documentation website[6]

Looking forward to tackling these issues together!

Cheers
Susanna & Tuukka

[1] https://wikidocumentaries-demo.wmcloud.org/
[2] https://github.com/Wikidocumentaries
[4] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikidocumentaries/
[6] https://wikidocumentaries.wmcloud.org/wiki/Main_Page

Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Thanks to all mentors for their participation! Results are out - Wikimedia
got accepted as a mentoring organization in GSoC 2023. There is still a
month before the contributor application period begins (on March 20th), in
case you would like to propose more projects. All the finalized ideas are
published here: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2023>
[1]. For Outreachy, we have finalized two project ideas <
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Outreachy/Round_26> [2]; contributors who
meet the eligibility criteria will be able to view the project details and
contribute from March 6th onwards.

Cheers,
Srishti, Sohom & Gopa (Wikimedia Org Admins)

Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Research into translation imbalances

=====

A short round of initial investigation by Jan Dittrich and myself has
revealed a strong pattern in how Content Translation is used: comparing the
number of articles being translated from Wikipedia languages with more
editors and articles into languages with fewer articles, we’ve found an
imbalance as large as 100:1 in favor of translations from the larger to the
smaller language.

There is much to be done to understand the source of this imbalance,
whether it’s desirable, and whether we can design an intervention which
leads to a more balanced exchange between languages.

We kindly invite Outreachy applicants to consider helping us with this
project, and we will co-create a flexible mentoring opportunity in
whichever of these fields is most interesting to you:

-

User experience research
-

Programming
-

Data analysis

Please see the longer version of this proposal for more details and to find
“microtasks” for getting started,

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T328597 - Research into translation
imbalances

Kind regards,

[[mw:Adamw <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Adamw>]] and [[meta:Simulo
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Simulo>]]
Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Hello,
the linked Phabricator task is "restricted" for me, I'm unable to see it.

Best regards,
Zoran

???, 24. ??? 2023. ? 12:49 Adam Wight <adam.wight@wikimedia.de> ??
???????/??:

Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the note—I hadn't realized that Outreachy participation
details can't be published until the contribution period begins on March
6th.

Please watch this page for more information about the research project
generally:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Content_Translation_language_imbalances

-Adam

Re: Call for projects and mentors for Google Summer of Code 2023 and Outreachy Round 26 is ongoing! [ In reply to ]
You're welcome. It makes sense then, thank you for informing me. :)

Best regards,
Zoran

???, 24. ??? 2023. ? 13:43 Adam Wight <adam.wight@wikimedia.de> ??