Mailing List Archive

Announcing: Path review board
Yesterday there was a conversation about code review on irc and among other
things, how sometimes patches can get "stuck".

I had an idea for a way to improve things. I'm not sure if it is a good
idea, but there's only one way to find out.

So without further ado, announcing the Code Review Patch Board:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_review/patch_board

In short - each person is allowed to list one of their patches on the board
that they would really like to see reviewed. You can only list one patch at
a time, and it should be a patch that you have been unable to get review
for for at least a week through normal means. See the page for the full
list of guidelines.

I encourage people to give it a try. Add a patch you wrote that you cannot
get a review for. Or if you have +2 rights, try giving some love to these
underloved patches.

I would also love to hear feedback on the general idea as well as the
current guidelines.

To repeat, the url is:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Code_review/patch_board

Thanks,
bawolff
Re: Announcing: Path review board [ In reply to ]
Amazing to hear about this, I'm hoping that this will improve the number of
merged patches which are stuck on waiting for review.

Best regards,
Zoran

???, 1. ??? 2023. ? 20:10 Brian Wolff <bawolff@gmail.com> ?? ???????/??:

Re: Announcing: Path review board [ In reply to ]
On 2023-02-02 11:33, Zoran Dori wrote:
>Amazing to hear about this, I'm hoping that this will improve the number of
>merged patches which are stuck on waiting for review.

It also might be important to keep contributors motivated - nothing is
more demoralizing than having a patch sitting for years.
Re: Announcing: Path review board [ In reply to ]
On Thursday, February 2, 2023, Brett Cornwall <bcornwall@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> On 2023-02-02 11:33, Zoran Dori wrote:
>
>> Amazing to hear about this, I'm hoping that this will improve the number
>> of
>> merged patches which are stuck on waiting for review.
>>

> It also might be important to keep contributors motivated - nothing is
> more demoralizing than having a patch sitting for years.

Indeed. I've certainly felt that way at times.

--
Bawolff
Re: Announcing: Path review board [ In reply to ]
On 2023-02-02 14:40, Brian Wolff wrote:
>On Thursday, February 2, 2023, Brett Cornwall <bcornwall@wikimedia.org>
>wrote:
>
>> On 2023-02-02 11:33, Zoran Dori wrote:
>>
>>> Amazing to hear about this, I'm hoping that this will improve the number
>>> of
>>> merged patches which are stuck on waiting for review.
>>>

>> It also might be important to keep contributors motivated - nothing is
>> more demoralizing than having a patch sitting for years.
>>

>Indeed. I've certainly felt that way at times.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've experienced that. Hopefully this is one
step towards making the experience better.
Re: Announcing: Path review board [ In reply to ]
So unfortunately interest in the patch review board seems to have died off

I believe when something doesn't work out, it is good to have a
retrospective. With that in mind, please add thoughts about the patch
review board to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Code_review/Patch_board#Retrospective

Thanks,
Brian