Mailing List Archive

major upgrade of PageProperties extension (a proof of concept for the use of SLOTS)
Hello, I've released a major upgrade of PageProperties extension and completely rewritten the extension page https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageProperties"]https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageProperties most of the recent work is intended for the use in conjunction with Semantic MediaWiki (it now offers a complete GUI based on OOUI to interactively create/edit properties, create/edit forms and even to perform a semantic import from csv fields to local properties registered in the Wiki). However at the same time the extension can be considered a proof of concept for the use of Slots, since all the data-structure is completely based on SLOTS (properties associated to a page are recorded within a slot with JSON content model) and they can also be navigated through the interface. The extension makes also significant use of the OOUI library, and I want to thank the authors for their wonderful work. If you want to check out the extension, I've set up this wiki https://wikienterprise.org/wiki/Main_Page"]https://wikienterprise.org/wiki/Main_Page where you can freely test it. I also plan to contribute whenever possible to the development of MCR/slots for the coming versions of Mediawiki, since currently the extension uses at least one hack, and the edit of slots in addition to the first could in my opinion be strongly simplified possibly with a a few changes in the code base. best (Thomas)
Re: major upgrade of PageProperties extension (a proof of concept for the use of SLOTS) [ In reply to ]
Nice one Thomas, great to see MCR getting used

Re: major upgrade of PageProperties extension (a proof of concept for the use of SLOTS) [ In reply to ]
This is looking really nice !

For those wondering, here is an example of the raw api output for this
extra slot when requested:
https://wikienterprise.org/w/api.php?action=query&format=json&prop=revisions&titles=Main%20Page&rvprop=ids%7Ctimestamp%7Cflags%7Ccomment%7Cuser%7Ccontent%7Ccontentmodel%7Cslotsize&rvslots=*

This could be very useful ! Glad to finally see slots getting some more
usage.

DJ

Re: major upgrade of PageProperties extension (a proof of concept for the use of SLOTS) [ In reply to ]
Oh Thomas. I notice that you use "json" as the content model, but if I'm
not mistaken, the content model is supposed to describe "what" you are
storing, not how you are storing it. For instance: commons metadata uses
"wikibase-mediainfo" as its content model.

This also reminds me, that like for namespaces and content handlers, we
should probably keep a list of known rvslot names, to avoid potential
conflicts.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_default_namespaces
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_handlers

So probably just somewhere here?
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multi-Content_Revisions

DJ

Re: major upgrade of PageProperties extension (a proof of concept for the use of SLOTS) [ In reply to ]
> This also reminds me, that like for namespaces and content handlers, we
should probably keep a list of known rvslot names, to avoid potential
conflicts.

Would be nice if extensions could register with mediawiki what rvslot names
they provide/manage. :)

On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 10:18 AM Derk-Jan Hartman <

Re: major upgrade of PageProperties extension (a proof of concept for the use of SLOTS) [ In reply to ]
hello Derk-Jan, thanks, I did not know this page https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_default_namespaces and actually I have been lucky, because the namespace id for storing the form descriptor was not already taken (2226-7), see for instance here https://wikienterprise.org/wiki/PagePropertiesForm:Organization (in this case, however, it is the main slot) also I think this is highly relevant https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Multi-Content_Revisions (talk page of the page mentioned by you) actually you could already set categories (through the tab "Edit semantic") and they will be registered in a dedicated slot. (perhaps I will insert a mention in the talk page itself) Regarding the dedicated content model, I will check it further, however it would be still &#39;json&#39; with an alternate name or interface, right ? kind regards (Thomas) Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2023 at 7:17 PM
From: "Derk-Jan Hartman" <d.j.hartman+wmf_ml@gmail.com>
To: "Wikitech-l" <wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Subject: [Wikitech-l] Re: major upgrade of PageProperties extension (a proof of concept for the use of SLOTS) Oh Thomas. I notice that you use "json" as the content model, but if I&#39;m not mistaken, the content model is supposed to describe "what" you are storing, not how you are storing it. For instance: commons metadata uses "wikibase-mediainfo" as its content model. This also reminds me, that like for namespaces and content handlers, we should probably keep a list of known rvslot names, to avoid potential conflicts. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_default_namespaces"]https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_default_namespaces https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_handlers"]https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_handlers So probably just somewhere here? https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multi-Content_Revisions"]https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multi-Content_Revisions DJ On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 4:00 PM Derk-Jan Hartman <d.j.hartman+wmf_ml@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I&#39;ve released a major upgrade of PageProperties extension and completely rewritten the extension page https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageProperties"]https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageProperties most of the recent work is intended for the use in conjunction with Semantic MediaWiki (it now offers a complete GUI based on OOUI to interactively create/edit properties, create/edit forms and even to perform a semantic import from csv fields to local properties registered in the Wiki). However at the same time the extension can be considered a proof of concept for the use of Slots, since all the data-structure is completely based on SLOTS (properties associated to a page are recorded within a slot with JSON content model) and they can also be navigated through the interface. The extension makes also significant use of the OOUI library, and I want to thank the authors for their wonderful work. If you want to check out the extension, I&#39;ve set up this wiki https://wikienterprise.org/wiki/Main_Page"]https://wikienterprise.org/wiki/Main_Page where you can freely test it. I also plan to contribute whenever possible to the development of MCR/slots for the coming versions of Mediawiki, since currently the extension uses at least one hack, and the edit of slots in addition to the first could in my opinion be strongly simplified possibly with a a few changes in the code base. best (Thomas) _______________________________________________