Mailing List Archive

How do I make VE *not* save/recover my changes?
Hi,

I've been searching quite a bit on MediaWiki.org but I can't find how
to tell the VisualEditor to stop saving and (especially) recovering
changes that I haven't explicitly saved. Is there a method?

Thanks,
Strainu
Re: How do I make VE *not* save/recover my changes? [ In reply to ]
Leave the editing mode "cleanly" -- saving, navigating back to the article
via the tabs, following a sidebar link to another page, hitting escape,
whatever. If you stop editing in a way that we can tell is intentional,
you'll be asked if you want to discard your changes, and if you say that
you do then it'll all get cleaned up. (We can't tell the difference between
"I deliberately closed this tab because I want to get rid of this" and "I
accidentally closed the wrong tab and I'll be very upset if my changes are
lost", unfortunately...)

If you want it to never autosave your changes, you could disable local
session storage for the wikis you use at the browser level. But that might
have side-effects outside of VE.

We don't have any preferences that'd control the autosave, and I don't
think that we have any current plans to implement something like that.

~David

Re: How do I make VE *not* save/recover my changes? [ In reply to ]
Thanks David. I just tried this and it only seems to work if I go back to
the article via the tabs. Any other tab or link doesn't work. I've logged
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T294463 so the team can check if this is
intended or not.

Have a good day,
Strainu