the rel and ltsrel policies are described as:

* release branches (key: rel): For every MediaWiki release, there is a
corresponding branch in the extension. So e.g. if you use MediaWiki 1.36,
you should use the REL1_36 branch of the extension.

* long-term support release branches (key: ltsrel): For every MediaWiki
release, there is a corresponding branch in the extension, following the
Version lifecycle release policy.

These sound exactly alike to me.
Re: What does "ltsrel" mean? [ In reply to ]
Hi Ike,

The key distinction is in the "Version lifecycle release policy" link for
the ltsrel definition. Another way of phrasing it would be:
"* long-term support release branches: For every MediaWiki release that is
a Long Term Support release (see [[mw:Version lifecycle]]) there is a
corresponding branch in the extension."

If that makes sense to you (and others) I can edit that page for clarity.

Greg

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 8:55 PM Ike Hecht <ike@wikiteq.com> wrote:

> I'm confused about what the term "ltsrel" means. The way I understand it,
> it *should* mean that the extension supports only Long Term Support
> versions of MediaWiki. It would have a branch for every LTS version of
> MediaWiki like REL1_31 and REL1_35, but not for REL1_32, REL1_33 or REL1_34.
>
> However, on the Compatibility
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Compatibility#MediaWiki_extensions> page,
> the rel and ltsrel policies are described as:
>
> * release branches (key: rel): For every MediaWiki release, there is a
> corresponding branch in the extension. So e.g. if you use MediaWiki 1.36,
> you should use the REL1_36 branch of the extension.
>
> * long-term support release branches (key: ltsrel): For every MediaWiki
> release, there is a corresponding branch in the extension, following the
> Version lifecycle release policy.
>
> These sound exactly alike to me.

| Greg Grossmeier GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| Dir. Engineering Productivity A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |
Re: What does "ltsrel" mean? [ In reply to ]
That would be great! Can you also update Template:Extension to match,
please?
Re: What does "ltsrel" mean? [ In reply to ]
I've updated [[Compatibility]] but I'm not sure which part of
[[Template:Extension]] needs updating. Help?

Re: What does "ltsrel" mean? [ In reply to ]
Thanks. Looks great!

The Template:Extension text is: "Follows the [[<tvar
name=1>Special:MyLanguage/Version lifecycle#Release
policy</tvar>|MediaWiki version lifecycle]]."

If you search for "ltsrel" in that template you should see it.

Much appreciated!