Mailing List Archive

GitLab: Users renamed to match shell names
Hey all,

A quick note that, after discussion on T288392[0], we've reconfigured
gitlab.wikimedia.org to use shell names for users instead of the LDAP
CN, and renamed all existing logins to match. This seems like a better
match for most users' expectations, and better ergonomics overall.

As a quick example, I was BrennenBearnes before, and now am at:

https://gitlab.wikimedia.org/brennen/

GitLab handles redirects for renamed users both in the web interface and
for git remotes, but if you want to reconfigure the remote URL for an
existing clone of a repo, you can do something like the following,
substituting your new username:

$ git remote set-url origin git@gitlab.wikimedia.org:brennen/test.git

[0]. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T288392

--
Brennen Bearnes
Release Engineering
Re: GitLab: Users renamed to match shell names [ In reply to ]
This is great! Thank you, Brennen.

Re: GitLab: Users renamed to match shell names [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Is there any tentative date for an individual volunteer to use Wikimedia
GitLab?

Jay Prakash
Volunteer Developer, Wikimedia Community

Re: GitLab: Users renamed to match shell names [ In reply to ]
On 9/27/21 9:20 PM, Jay prakash wrote:

> Is there any tentative date for an individual volunteer to use Wikimedia
> GitLab?
The migration to shell usernames was the last item blocking that, so I'm
hopeful we can open it up yet this week. That's tracked on Phabricator
here:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T288162

We've also got a high-level roadmap for GitLab adoption:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/GitLab/Roadmap

--
Brennen Bearnes
Release Engineering