Mailing List Archive

Production Excellence #35: August 2021
How’d we do in our strive for operational excellence last month? Read on to
find out!
Incidents

Zero documented incidents last month. Isn't that something! (Incident graphs
<https://codepen.io/Krinkle/full/wbYMZK>)

Learn about past incidents at Incident status
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_status> on Wikitech. Remember
to review and schedule Incident Follow-up
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/4758/> in Phabricator,
which are preventive measures and other action items to learn from.
Trends

In August we resolved 18 of the 156 reports that carried over from previous
months, and reported 46 new failures in production. Of the new ones, 17
remain unresolved as of writing and will carry over to next month.

The number of new errors reports in August was fairly high at 46, compared
to 31 reports in July, and 26 reports in June.

The backlog of "Old" issues saw no progress this past month and remained
constant at 146 open error reports.

Figure 1, Figure 2: Unresolved error reports, stacked by month.
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/248/production_excellence_35_august_2021/#trends>

???? *Did you know*: You can zoom in to your team's error reports by using
the appropriate "Filter" link in the sidebar of our shared workboard?

Take a look at the workboard and look for tasks that could use your help.

? https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/wikimedia-production-error/
Progress

Last few months in review:
Jan 2021 (50 issues
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/gn7TOpf2LdVE/#R>) 3 left.
Feb 2021 (20 issues
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/xQxnXZys4q97/#R>) 6 > 5
left.
Mar 2021 (48 issues
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/To0edISjsA9s/#R>) 13 >
10 left.
Apr 2021 (42 issues
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/ORxSVxnJBlLc/#R>) 18 >
17 left.
May 2021 (54 issues
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/9y.PWGoGgWbK/#R>) 22 >
20 left.
Jun 2021 (26 issues
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/DlpqBkLj0aP4/#R>) 11 >
10 left.
Jul 2021 (31 issues
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/qQAV178rYaJ_/#R>) 16 >
12 left.
Aug 2021 (46 issues
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/maniphest/query/_VlOsgZ9On4g/#R>) +17
new unresolved issues.

Tally:
156 issues open, as of Excellence #34
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/247/production_excellence_34_july_2021/>
(July 2021).
-18 issues closed, of the previously open issues.
+17 new issues that survived August 2021.
155 issues open, as of today (3 Sep 2021).

For more month-over-month numbers refer to the spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTrUCAI10hIroYDU-i5_8s7pony8M71ATXrFRiXXV7t5-tITZYrTRLGch-3iJbmeG41ZMcj1vGfzZ70/pubhtml>
.
Thanks!

Thank you to everyone who helped by reporting, investigating, or resolving
problems in Wikimedia production. Thanks!

Until next time,

– Timo Tijhof

???? Share or read later via
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/phame/post/view/248/