Mailing List Archive

WVUI v0.3.0 released – last minor version incl. new components
Hi all,

We've released version 0.3.0 of WVUI earlier today.
One of the agreements from Vue.js developer summit [0] organized by the
Design System team has been to start a new library and repository next with
all other technical decisions made, a.o. being based on Vue 3 or no
JavaScript only
support to IE 11. With this email we want to clarify upfront why we've
merged two more component additions (progress-bar and toggle-button)
succeeding the summit.
Reasons was mainly to finalize the already in-flight work by volunteer
DannyS712.

Additionally to this, all other components merged since v0.2.0 and before the
summit – checkbox, dropdown and options-menu – are part of this
release. Same goes
for further improvements for the most important in-production use case,
Desktop Improvements project's Typeahead Search feature [1].
We'll discontinue major additions to WVUI from this release on besides
bug fixes and
will focus our work on the coming library.

Thanks to volunteer DannyS712 for all contributions! And to Nikki
Nikkhoui for the
continued build step support and James Forrester to get release out of the door
during after hours.

Find interactive demos hosted on doc.wikimedia.org [2] and the additional
improvements since v0.2.0 in the full changelog [3].

If you have any further questions please reach out to
design-systems-team-external@wikimedia.org.

Best,
Volker

[0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Design_Systems_Team/Vue.js_Developer_Summit_2021
[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Desktop_Improvements/Vue.js_case_study
[2] https://doc.wikimedia.org/wvui/master/ui/
[3] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/wvui/+/refs/tags/v0.3.0/CHANGELOG.md#v0_3_0-2021_08_25
Re: WVUI v0.3.0 released – last minor version incl. new components [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 8/26/21 11:48 PM, Volker E. wrote:
> We've released version 0.3.0 of WVUI earlier today.
> One of the agreements from Vue.js developer summit [0] organized by the
> Design System team has been to start a new library and repository next with
> all other technical decisions made, a.o. being based on Vue 3 or no
> JavaScript only
> support to IE 11. With this email we want to clarify upfront why we've
> merged two more component additions (progress-bar and toggle-button)
> succeeding the summit.

> [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Design_Systems_Team/Vue.js_Developer_Summit_2021

Is there a retrospective or explanation of why WVUI is being
abandoned/deprecated/replaced? I read through [0] and [1] but didn't see
any explanation of *why* this is happening, what went wrong with WVUI.

It also feels a bit weird to me that the event was billed as a
"Developer Summit for everyone involved in writing Vue.js code across
our various projects" when this objectively wasn't true given that there
are actively people working on Wikimedia-related Vue.js projects (even
mentioned and thanked in this email!) who weren't invited and excluded.

[1]
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Design_Systems_Team/Vue.js_Developer_Summit_2021/Vue.js_Developer_Summit_2021_Documentation

-- Legoktm
Re: WVUI v0.3.0 released – last minor version incl. new components [ In reply to ]
Looks like the closest thing to a decision record that we get to have
is <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T286953>.

I'll underscore that "everyone" does not mean "WMF staff, WMDE staff,
and a few consultants".

ACN

Re: WVUI v0.3.0 released – last minor version incl. new components [ In reply to ]
Hi Legoktm and AntiCompositeNumber,
please find my replies inline.

On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 6:33 PM AntiCompositeNumber
<anticompositenumber@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like the closest thing to a decision record that we get to have
> is <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T286953>.
>
> I'll underscore that "everyone" does not mean "WMF staff, WMDE staff,
> and a few consultants".

Agreed, a misleading lapse that was on the article page since our team
has started it. Further down
at “Who” we've stated “Wikimedia Foundation and WMDE staff who are
involved in writing Vue.js code across our projects”. [4]

> ACN
>
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2021 at 6:37 PM Kunal Mehta <legoktm@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 8/26/21 11:48 PM, Volker E. wrote:
> > > We've released version 0.3.0 of WVUI earlier today.
> > > One of the agreements from Vue.js developer summit [0] organized by the
> > > Design System team has been to start a new library and repository next with
> > > all other technical decisions made, a.o. being based on Vue 3 or no
> > > JavaScript only
> > > support to IE 11. With this email we want to clarify upfront why we've
> > > merged two more component additions (progress-bar and toggle-button)
> > > succeeding the summit.
> >
> > > [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Design_Systems_Team/Vue.js_Developer_Summit_2021
> >
> > Is there a retrospective or explanation of why WVUI is being
> > abandoned/deprecated/replaced? I read through [0] and [1] but didn't see
> > any explanation of *why* this is happening, what went wrong with WVUI.

In short, the summit was the culmination of an internal retrospective
and we will share out a blog post on the agreements and resulting
recommendations by 20 plus designers and more than 60 mostly engineers
of the two events.

We're on the brink of important technological changes, which are
directly related to and will have an impact on the developer
experience and the speed of progress towards a production-ready,
shared library. Developer experience and evolving our technology
platform [5] have been the underlying pillars for the decision for
Vue.js. I've mentioned the change from Vue 2 to Vue 3 and removal of
Internet Explorer 11 support [6] for modern, JavaScript enabled
experience.
Both of those and some other technical questions have been differently
approached in current WVUI, and other WMF and WMDE libs and resulted
in limitations like not using ES6 client code [7].

Also, we're going to transfer the good parts of the existing
implementations into the new library quickly.

> > It also feels a bit weird to me that the event was billed as a
> > "Developer Summit for everyone involved in writing Vue.js code across
> > our various projects" when this objectively wasn't true given that there
> > are actively people working on Wikimedia-related Vue.js projects (even
> > mentioned and thanked in this email!) who weren't invited and excluded.

What I've shared above, a sentence that unintendedly stayed unchanged.
We were working hard on the contents of the designer workshop and
developer summit and were trying to bring all staff designers and
developers collaborating on and with the library in a very short time
window together. At the same time, we've been aiming at sharing out
our agreements and recommendations and gathering further feedback. For
example, DannyS712 as an important contributor to WVUI has been
informed by myself about two months ago about the internal agreements
to be still set. And I've followed up in Gerrit comments about the
progress that led to filing the release task [8].

> > [1]
> > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Design_Systems_Team/Vue.js_Developer_Summit_2021/Vue.js_Developer_Summit_2021_Documentation
> >
> > -- Legoktm

Best,