Mailing List Archive

Use ircservserv to manage your IRC channel
Hi,

As part of the Libera Chat migration, myself and some others worked on
developing "ircservserv"[0], which allows you to mostly manage IRC
channel ACLs and settings using Git. Basically think GitOps, but for IRC.

Instead of having to look up the various ChanServ and /mode commands
each time, you make your change in a human readable TOML file, have CI
validate it, and then deploy it. It also takes care of all the boring
channel set up options like enabling global bans, giving permissions to
Libera staff, etc.

Once initially set up, it's mostly self-service in that you can change
your channel's configuration without needing intervention from the
ircservserv maintainers.

The full documentation and examples are available at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Bots/ircservserv>. If there's some
functionality you'd like/need and it's missing, please file a bug in
Phabricator.

Note that for now this should only be used for public channels. [1]
tracks deploying an instance in production for private channels.

Big thanks to Majavah for co-maintaining it with me and Skizzerz for
answering all my questions about the IRC/ChanServ protocols.

[0] what you end up with when you pick a name at 3am.

-- Kunal