Mailing List Archive

How to get python 3.6+ at toolforge?
Hello all,

I have a bot written in python3.8, which uses fstrings a lot.
https://realpython.com/python-f-strings/

When deployed the bot on the toolforge, found that it has python3.5

Hence cant run the bot.
It cant understand the fstrings.

Is there any way we can get python version 3.6 or greater at toolforge servers?

Thanks.

T.Shrinivasan

My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com
Re: How to get python 3.6+ at toolforge? [ In reply to ]
You can use the Debian buster images with Kubernetes which have Python
3.7.3 pre-installed.

Best,
QEDK

Re: How to get python 3.6+ at toolforge? [ In reply to ]
> You can use the Debian buster images with Kubernetes which have Python
> 3.7.3 pre-installed.

I need to run the not as a cronjob in toolforge.

I think I can setup the cron on toolforge server.

This is plain python script.

I don't need docker or kubernetes for this.

Is there any way to get higher version of python at toolforge servers?

Thanks.
Shrini

Re: How to get python 3.6+ at toolforge? [ In reply to ]
I don't think so, unless it's upgraded anytime soon (not sure about
timelines) or sudo access is provided to you so you can build from source.
Getting a hang of k8s in toolforge takes a while but it's easy once you
have it set up. Here's a guide on how you can do cronjobs in k8s:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Toolforge/Kubernetes#Kubernetes_cronjobs

Best,
QEDK

Re: How to get python 3.6+ at toolforge? [ In reply to ]
When I enquired about this a while ago, I was told that WMF would not install a newer python on the existing Debian Stretch hosts because there was no pre-built package for it. I ended up building my own Python 3.7 binary from source for use on the debian stretch hosts. It's actually pretty straight-forward to do if you've done that sort of thing before, but it does mean you're taking on more responsibility for maintaining it yourself.

The better news is that they do have some Debian Buster bastion hosts up and running, which have Python 3.7 installed. I'm using those now. I think they're not yet released for public use, so I'll let somebody from WMF chime in on whether it's OK for others to use, and how to access them.

And, yeah, f-strings is the killer feature of the post 3.5 releases.

Re: How to get python 3.6+ at toolforge? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

You should not be running any heavy scripts (such as bots) on the
bastions (login.toolforge.org and dev.toolforge.org), run them on the
job grid[0] (which has Python 3.5) or in Kubernetes[1] (Python 3.7) instead.

On 6/19/21 9:58 PM, QEDK wrote:
> I don't think so, unless it's upgraded anytime soon (not sure about
> timelines)

A job grid upgrade is in progress[2], I believe it's not being actively
worked on but an upgrade is happening in the near term.

> Getting a hang of k8s in toolforge takes a while but it's easy
> once you have it set up. Here's a guide on how you can do cronjobs in
> k8s:
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Toolforge/Kubernetes#Kubernetes_cronjobs
> <https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Toolforge/Kubernetes#Kubernetes_cronjobs>

We're hoping to provide easier tooling in the future for the most common
use cases, so in the future you hopefully don't even need to learn
Kubernetes to run bots and other tools with it. In the meanwhile,
Wikitech has examples[1] for continuous jobs and timed/cron jobs.

[0]: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Toolforge/Grid
[1]:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Toolforge/Kubernetes#Kubernetes_cronjobs
[2]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T277653