Mailing List Archive

Need Help for MediaWiki Skin Development
Hi,

I want to develop a skin for MediaWiki and need some help with a number of
issues I have faced. I read How to guilde.[1]. There are references to
Example skin and Skin Labs skin. I could not install the Skin Labs skin as
it is tagged for MediaWiki 1.37+ and then I started to look into the
Example Skin. As MediaWiki is moving to the Mustache all the previous skin
related docs are marked as outdated.

So can you please refer me to the doc pages where I can get the equivalent
amount of guidelines of the old doc pages. I have a few queries related to
migrating an old style skin to Mustache. If a straight migration is not
possible, I am ok to start from scratch as well.

I asked a few questions to the Support Desk [2] but did not get any
response there. I tried to Discord [3] but only one person replied to me.
But that was not the solution I asked for. Earlier I reported some bugs to
Phabricator but did not get the answers there as well.

So it would be really helpful if please help refer me to some doc, and
mention where is the right place to get answers.

Thanks
Nasir Khan

[1] - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:How_to_make_a_MediaWiki_skin
[2] - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Support_desk
[3] - https://discord.com/channels/178359708581625856/178361730986934273

--
*Nasir Khan Saikat*
www.nasirkhn.com
Re: Need Help for MediaWiki Skin Development [ In reply to ]
I can't help much with Mustache, but I'll note that all of the older
documentation is still valid. Skins that do not use Mustache templates
are still supported.

--
Bartosz Dziewo?ski
Re: Need Help for MediaWiki Skin Development [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your reply Bartosz.

I can see that the PHP based skins are working now (Mediawiki 1.35.*) but
the same skin does not work on Mediawiki 1.36+.
I mentioned in my previous email that I built a skin long ago and Jon
Robson helped to upgrade that afterwards.

My concern is that Mediawiki is moving towards Mustache and old skin docs
are marked as outdated. But I found only one single page doc about this new
system. Though you are saying those are valid.
The core team who are working on this skin section can create the
equivalent amount of docs which are available for PHP based skins. I can
help to write the docs as well but as I am not building the system I have a
number of queries regarding this. If I get the answers then I can create
the related docs.

Is there anyone who can help me to improve the skin docs of MediaWiki and I
will get the help to build the skin from that.

--
*Nasir Khan Saikat*
www.nasirkhn.com