Mailman 3 - is there an API available?
Hello,

does Mailman 3 (as-installed by Wikimedia) have an API I could use?

I'm an administrator of WMCZ's internal maillist, and it would help me if I
could sync the addresses with evidence of members with a script rather than
having to do it manually each time a new member is admitted (or quits).

Thanks,

Martin
Re: Mailman 3 - is there an API available? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 6/19/21 5:32 AM, Martin Urbanec wrote:
> does Mailman 3 (as-installed by Wikimedia) have an API I could use?

Yes it has an API, but it's not available for public access. Everything
in Mailman3 is driven by a REST API, however that API has a single
user/password and has access to do *everything*, so we can't hand it out.

> I'm an administrator of WMCZ's internal maillist, and it would help me
> if I could sync the addresses with evidence of members with a script
> rather than having to do it manually each time a new member is admitted
> (or quits).

So...depending on what you plan on syncing it with, this could be
doable. In <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T278361> it's been
requested to auto-subscribe people to the Cloud-announce list, which
might require making some part of the REST API accessible in the
internal network or having scripts run on the lists server.

If you could file a task explaining a bit more detail where you want to
sync from, how often it needs to sync, etc. then we could probably
figure something out.

-- Kunal
Re: Mailman 3 - is there an API available? [ In reply to ]
Hello Kunal,

Thanks for your answer. WMCZ has a private self-hosted wiki that can be
used as a data source for the maillist.

Unfortunately, who is a member is private information, so I'm not sure how
it would be possible to sync it with WMF service. An alternative would be
to somehow (privately) expose the subscribers in a machine-readable form,
so I could create a bot to indicate subscribeness status in a wiki table,
but I'm also not sure how feasible that would be.

Martin

Re: Mailman 3 - is there an API available? [ In reply to ]
There have been requests to build something similar (for example automated
tools for checking only users with certain rights would have access to the
internal mailing list of that right) and the good thing it's now much
easier to do in mailman3. I hope to get around to doing it soon. I make
sure to keep your use case in mind and at least make it slightly easier for
you. Stay tuned.

Best