Mailing List Archive

Upstream shutdowns
On 5/29/21 5:59 PM, Brian Wolff wrote:
> It sounds like phabricator upstream is going away:
> https://admin.phacility.com/phame/post/view/11/phacility_is_winding_down_operations/
> <https://admin.phacility.com/phame/post/view/11/phacility_is_winding_down_operations/>

On the general topic, it's worrying to me this is the third major
platform/software that Wikimedia relies on that is gone, with little
notice. OTRS went EOL 2 days before Christmas last year[1] and Freenode
well, switched hands and imploded.

In all 3 cases though it's been pretty clear beforehand that something
was wrong or unsustainable. OTRS didn't release their community edition
on time[2], Freenode has had questionable governance for a while now,
the "Freenode Limited" company was created in 2017, and
Phabricator/Phacility has been maintained by a single person (who's done
great work, no doubt) in a way that did not really encourage upstream
contributions to build a sustainable community of contributors (my
impression, correct me if I'm wrong).

And with COVID-19, plenty of IRL businesses/shops/etc. have gone under
or just closed down so it's unsurprising that we're seeing the effect in
tech/FOSS too.

I think it would be a good idea if we can check in on our upstreams[2],
have sustainable governance, identifying if they assistance/support, and
then figuring out how to provide what's needed.

To start with, I think we have a unique opportunity to influence the
governance of Libera Chat given they're just starting off and appear to
be interested in getting our feedback[3].

[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Upstream_projects
[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum#Libera_Chat_governance

-- Legoktm
Re: Upstream shutdowns [ In reply to ]
Also HHVM and Blazegraph.

--
Brian

Re: Upstream shutdowns [ In reply to ]
There is also one of the search systems migrating to non O/S from memory...
elastic?

Re: Upstream shutdowns [ In reply to ]
Le 02/06/2021 à 03:35, K. Peachey a écrit :
> There is also one of the search systems migrating to non O/S from
> memory... elastic?

Hello,

Yes that is ElasticSearch. They have recently announced they are now
licensing code under Server Side Public License (SSPL)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Side_Public_License> it is a viral
license which in short requires that any service based on such code get
licensed with the same license.  I am not a lawyer, but I guess that
would imply that our whole stack switch to it as well.  As such it is
not considered free by Debian or the Open Source Initiative (OSI).

As I understand it, the move has been made possible since all
contributions were subject to a Contributor License Agreement (CLA)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contributor_License_Agreement>. So that
although the code was placed under a free license, the CLA effectively
grants unrestricted publishing right to an organization, they can thus
relicense the code however they want.   If I get it right, the old code
is still under a free license but it can also be used under the new non
free license.    As I get it the move has been done due to frictions
with Amazon which is providing a search service.   Amazon announced they
would be behind the free community fork: https://www.opensearch.org/
<https://www.opensearch.org/>

Antoine "hashar" Musso
Re: Upstream shutdowns [ In reply to ]
I suspect there's much more than just this list, even if we just restrict
it to "major" components. On Analytics, we've had to adjust as the
following systems EOL-ed or changed licensing:

* Pivot (moved to Turnilo, a fork)
* Camus (moving to Gobblin)
* Kafka Connect

Re: Upstream shutdowns [ In reply to ]
I think one part of the problem is that we don't have a comprehensive
catalog of our dependencies and their dependencies (and so on). Having such
list helps us understand hidden patterns in our infra ("we are depending
too much on facebook products") or try to reduce complexities by
harmonizing them (http://boringtechnology.club/)

At least having a structured catalog is a good starting point IMHO.
Best

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 6:53 PM Dan Andreescu <dandreescu@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> I suspect there's much more than just this list, even if we just restrict
> it to "major" components. On Analytics, we've had to adjust as the
> following systems EOL-ed or changed licensing:
>
> * Pivot (moved to Turnilo, a fork)
> * Camus (moving to Gobblin)
> * Kafka Connect
>
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 5:16 AM Antoine Musso <hashar@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Le 02/06/2021 à 03:35, K. Peachey a écrit :
>>
>> There is also one of the search systems migrating to non O/S from
>> memory... elastic?
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Yes that is ElasticSearch. They have recently announced they are now
>> licensing code under Server Side Public License (SSPL)
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Side_Public_License> it is a viral
>> license which in short requires that any service based on such code get
>> licensed with the same license. I am not a lawyer, but I guess that would
>> imply that our whole stack switch to it as well. As such it is not
>> considered free by Debian or the Open Source Initiative (OSI).
>>
>> As I understand it, the move has been made possible since all
>> contributions were subject to a Contributor License Agreement (CLA)
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contributor_License_Agreement>. So that
>> although the code was placed under a free license, the CLA effectively
>> grants unrestricted publishing right to an organization, they can thus
>> relicense the code however they want. If I get it right, the old code is
>> still under a free license but it can also be used under the new non free
>> license. As I get it the move has been done due to frictions with Amazon
>> which is providing a search service. Amazon announced they would be
>> behind the free community fork: https://www.opensearch.org/
>>

>> Antoine "hashar" Musso

Amir (he/him)
Re: Upstream shutdowns [ In reply to ]
On 6/5/21 10:56 AM, Amir Sarabadani wrote:
> I think one part of the problem is that we don't have a comprehensive
> catalog of our dependencies and their dependencies (and so on).

Do you mean something different than
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Upstream_projects>? (which is missing a
lot of items and could use lots of expansion :))

-- Legoktm
Re: Upstream shutdowns [ In reply to ]
That's pretty good but I feel something specific to Wikimedia is needed.
Like analytics cluster, wmcs, ... and It should be in wikitech. It'll be so
big that I think it would need subpages, etc. Just thinking out loud.