Mailing List Archive

Change to how we build the wikimedia base container images.
[X-posting from ops-l]

Hi all,

Starting today, we are building our base container images using
debuerreotype instead than bootstrap-vz, which is unmaintained [1]. This is
the same tool that is used for the dockerhub debian images, and our images
are now completely equivalent to the debian base images, plus our own apt
configuration[2].

With this change, we're also introducing a simpler nomenclature for our
base images:
we will tag our images with "$codename" instead than with
"wikimedia-$codename". Thus:

- the base stretch image is now docker-registry.wikimedia.org/stretch
- the base buster image is now docker-registry.wikimedia.org/buster

We have also added a new image based on the (yet unreleased, caveat emptor)
debian bullseye.

We will keep tagging the latest version of those images as
"wikimedia-stretch" and "wikimedia-buster" for the time being, in order to
allow for backwards compatibility, but we encourage everyone to migrate
eventually to the new naming.

Cheers,

Giuseppe

[2] Our very simple build script is here:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/operations/puppet/+/refs/heads/production/modules/docker/files/build-bare-slim.sh

--
Giuseppe Lavagetto
Principal Site Reliability Engineer, Wikimedia Foundation