Mailing List Archive

IRC channels are moving to Libera Chat
tl;dr:
* Wikimedia IRC channels are moving from Freenode to Libera.Chat.
* Register an account on Libera.Chat and join us there!

There has been a lot of activity over the past week related to
staffing changes on the Freenode IRC network [0]. The Wikimedia IRC
Group Contacts (GCs) [1] evaluated the situation and decided that
moving the Wikimedia IRC channels from Freenode to the brand new
Libera.Chat IRC network [2] would be the best course of action [3].
So, we are moving!

There is a new subpage on Meta-Wiki [4] for information on how to create
a new account for yourself on Libera.Chat and other related information.

Earlier we had planned on supporting the Freenode channels for longer
with bridges across the networks, but supposedly "draft" changes to
Freenode policies and recent actions by their new staff have pushed us
to close our channels and fully leave their network. We need help with
updating all references to point to the Libera Chat channels instead -
this work is being tracked as [5].

[0]: https://www.kline.sh/
[1]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Group_Contacts
[2]: https://libera.chat/
[3]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=21476411
[4]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Migrating_to_Libera_Chat
[5]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T283247

-- Legoktm
Re: IRC channels are moving to Libera Chat [ In reply to ]
The new freenode staff have now taken the unprecedented step of
overriding local moderators to re-open closed channels. I would
encourage anyone that was attempting to maintain a presence on
freenode to leave as soon as possible.

The new management have shown us who they are. It is time we believe them.

AntiCompositeNumber